Fast & Furious | Teen Ink

Fast & Furious

By Kyle Graas BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
Kyle Graas BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

Thousands of people raced into theaters at twelve a.m. on April 3rd to watch Fast and Furious, the fourth movie in the Fast and the Furious series, although this movie was the first real sequel. Tokyo Drift and 2 Fast 2 Furious don't really cut it as far as sequels because both movies follow different storylines. Fast and Furious is meant to take place between 2 Fast 2 Furious and Tokyo Drift on the racing timeline the producers have developed, before Don (Vin Diesel) is caught by the feds and before Brian (Paul Walker) leaves the CIA.

Don't be fooled by the lazy title. Although Fast and Furious is full of fast cars and half-naked women (any man's paradise), the storyline between Letty (Don's girlfriend) and Don keep the viewer attached, while the director decided to throw in fancy cars and women and drugs and violence and more cars into the mix.
Fast & Furious begins with Dominic Toretto driving an impressive old muscle car, much like the one similar to the first film. Toretto's girlfriend, Letty, is seriously in danger while trying to perform a heist for oil. Once the aftermath clears, Toretto decides that he has become too dangerous for Letty and leaves her, only to find her brutally attacked and murdered later on in the film. Furious, Toretto returns to the United States for revenge.
Before long, Toretto becomes reunited with Brian O'Conner, the same man that helped Toretto escape at the end of the first film. Coincidentally, the two are after the same man: a drug-trafficker focused on hiring street racers as transportation. (Surprise?) As an excuse to get them into cars, the plot continues with the fugitive and the policeman battling for the drug lord's head for personal reasons.
Although the dialogue causes headaches and some of the characters and their movements make an awkward scene, the movie is focused around car chases and dancing Latinas. Once they hit the road, everything else disappears, and the viewer engages (and almost shares) the same adrenaline rush the racers would have if they were…well…really racing.
Needless to say, the film rocked the box offices. It was cool. It was just more of the first movie, but thank God that movie was good. However, one can only hope for a better run for their money in the Fast and the Furious 5, which is already being planned.