Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street | Teen Ink

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

By laurennadoresyou BRONZE, Lenexa, Kansas
laurennadoresyou BRONZE, Lenexa, Kansas

Bad singing, mediocre acting, and just an all around depressing feeling sound like a fun evening for you? If so, you really should check out Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. If not, I suggest you back away very, very slowly as to not upset this monster of a movie too much.

A demon barber? I mean really. The name alone should warn you of what a cheesy, depressing movie it would turn out to be. After hard years sent away from his home for a crime he didn't commit, Benjamin Barker now Sweeney Todd, returns to London to find his wife dead and his daughter in the hands of the evil Judge Turpin. In his anger, Sweeney goes on a murderous rampage all over London, with the help of Mrs. Lovett, he opens a barber shop in which he lures his victims in with a charming smile before casually ending their life with a flick of his razor across their neck. But neither one or ten thousand men can satisfy Sweeney's lust for revenge on those who've caused his years of pain.

Sweeney Todd is a bitter old man who seeks revenge on everyone in London to make up for his loses in life. He acquires the help of Mrs. Lovett, the pie lady living underneath his barber shop. Judge Turpin is the evil man who exiled Sweeney in the first place, and he is now holding Sweeney’s daughter, Johanna, hostage in his home.

A fun, dark musical is not what you get when you see this movie. It is more like getting tortured by Sweeney Todd himself, and by the end you wish he would just finish you off himself before you had to watch anymore. The ending leaves you feeling worse than the bottom of the movie theater floor, which is about as low as you can get. It has a horrible plot, and the singing is nothing special. You would be better off taking your $10 movie ticket and ripping it to pieces.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street leaves a lot to be desired. You are better off staying home watching reruns of Friends than going out to see this movie. If you think you are in store for a humorous, dark, musical, think again. This is more of a torture for you than any of the characters in the movie.

on Sep. 21 2010 at 2:57 pm
ArtemisOwlfeather SILVER, South Pasadena, California

"I am evil. I am evil. I am evil. I do not bounce. I am evil."

No, my dear fellow Teeninker, i think YOU should back away slowly.

on Aug. 18 2009 at 3:37 pm
JaysynB190 SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Wow my review is nowhere near this dark but hey, whatever floats your boat. Nice writing.