Pokémon Detective Pikachu | Teen Ink

Pokémon Detective Pikachu

January 25, 2020
By Anonymous

 Pokémon Detective Pikachu proves to be a surprisingly charming and enjoyable adventure that brings the concepts of Pokémon to life. The movie revolves around Tim Goodman, a young adult that is still struggling to find his way in the world. Working a seemingly uninspiring and uninteresting job as an insurance broker, Tim feels like he is trapped in the job that he has found for himself and the city that he has lived in all his life. Still without a Pokémon partner, which is odd, especially when considering that nearly everyone else has a companion, Tim Goodman is all alone in his life. However, things grow even worse for Tim when he discovers that his father has been reported missing and potentially dead. Although Tim and his father have had an uneasy relationship at best, highlighted by how they haven't seen each other in years, Tim is still prompted to discover the truth about what has really happened to his father. This results in Tim traveling to the city where his father lived and worked in for so many years, but the unique aspect of this city is the fact that Pokémon and humans coexist with one another peacefully. Despite how relations between humans and Pokémon is considered normality in the city, Tim Goodman is still shocked when he finds Harry's former Pokémon Partner, who just so happens to be a Pikachu. This Pikachu is a detective at heart, caffeine-addicted, and he uses his adorable looks and wits to aid him in his attempts to become a true crime-solving sleuth. In fact, Detective Pikachu is convinced that Harry is still alive and that Tim and himself need to continue to work on the case together and save Harry. Even though Tim is definitely skeptical of working with a Pokémon, mostly due to how he feels he doesn't need to rely on anyone else for help, Tim soon discovers that he can actually understand what Detective Pikachu is saying. While the rest of the world's humans are unable to actually communicate with Pokémon through words, this is something that doesn't apply to Tim, and both Tim and Pikachu are able to understand one another and have full conversations. Understanding that fate or destiny has been responsible for bringing them together, Tim and Pikachu both agree that something special has united them together and that it's necessary to work together to find out the truth about Harry. However, as Tim Goodman and Detective Pikachu begin to spark a relationship with one another and attempt to unravel the clues of the mystery around Harry Goodman's death, they come to the startling conclusion that this mystery might go far deeper than they could have ever expected. 
 Pokémon Detective Pikachu proves to be a delightfully vibrant and fresh adventure that quite literally brings the games, characters, and ideas of Pokémon into the real world. Pokémon are made a thing of normality in this movie universe, and there is a hint of realism associated with it when it comes to coexisting between humans and Pokémon. While some peacefully live alongside their Pokémon partners, there is also the threat of mistreatment and some taking advantage of the Pokémon in attempts to suit their own needs. This is actually the greatest threat that Tim Goodman and Detective Pikachu face, and as they begin to discover that the very nature of the relationship between humans and Pokémon is at risk, they both understand the potential repercussions that might come as a result. This allows the movie to have a sense of greater purpose, posing questions of whether or not creatures of nature and humans can ever truly live with one another peacefully, also bringing into question humanity's treatment of the environment. 

 Pokémon Detective Pikachu is at its finest when it takes the beloved video games of Pokémon into the real world and brings real people into the world of Pokémon. It sometimes even feels like playing a video game, immersing viewers into a city where just about anyone could have a best friend Pokémon partner of their own. Earnestly entertaining and genuinely compelling, the movie captivates audiences with the ability to craft together a magical world where endless possibilities of imagination are made reality. Through some amazingly vivid visual effects and superb special effects, the movie succeeds in artistically building an entire universe of colorful and eccentric Pokémon. This eccentricity is a main focal point of the film and serves as an escape into the video games that so many treasured during their innocent childhoods, or continue to love. 
 Pokémon Detective Pikachu understands its need to appeal to the dedicated fans that have continued to support the franchise of Pokémon in everything that it does and repeatedly ensures that committed loyalists will be satisfied. While the movie is far more entertaining and instantly likable for those already aware and familiar with Pikachu's world, it is still welcoming enough to intrigue those that are less knowledgeable with the universe of Pokémon. With aid from a brilliant voiceover from Ryan Reynolds, his voice as Pikachu helps to perfectly deliver some well-timed jokes and add a spoonful of hilarious and lighthearted comedy into the adventure. Along with the beautiful world created through truly memorable visuals, the movie ensures that audiences will continue to want to set out on their path to becoming a master trainer and stay true to their commitment in wanting to catch 'em all. There's no denying the fact that viewers will instantaneously find themselves wishing that they had a Pokémon partner of their very own, and this quality of fantastical imagination makes the movie feel honestly magical. The adaptation of the phenomenon of Pokémon isn't without its quirks, including a few cloudy plot points, but it is a smooth transition that for the most part successfully brings Pokémon into the real word. Part video game, part realistic, and part surrealism, it's wholeheartedly fun and entertaining. Along with the elements of well-composed mystery that are highlighted throughout, this adventure will be a surprisingly charming dive into a world of possibilities. This is definitely worth giving a chance. 


The author's comments:

"There’s magic, it brought us together. And that magic is called hope! Hope that Harry is still alive." - Detective Pikachu