The Upside | Teen Ink

The Upside

January 12, 2020
By Anonymous

 The Upside proves to be a surprisingly charming comedy that infuses together drama and humor to bring out the very best in the story this movie is based off of. The movie revolves around Phillip Lacasse, an extremely wealthy quadriplegic that can no longer take care of himself. Due to his physical condition, Phillip can't feel anything below his neck, and this makes his daily life a difficult and daunting class. Because of this, Phillip decides to hold a whole host of interviews to help find the right person to live with him in his New York penthouse, especially since Phillip is very particular in who takes care of him. Phillip doesn't want to be treated like he's handicapped or has a disability, and he just wants to be in a situation where he can be treated like an average person. This is exactly where Dell comes in. As a parolee that is struggling to make things right with his family, including his ex-wife and their young son, Dell needs to get one more signature from a possible employer to demonstrate how he's trying to find work and shouldn't go back to jail. However, despite his criminal record, Phillip immediately sees something favorable and enjoyable in Dell, even when he barges in and interrupts Phillip's interview with someone else to request a signature. Although Dell is completely inexperienced, and hasn't ever had any job remotely similar to a task like this, Phillip is still certain that hiring Dell is the right thing to do. Quickly moving in with Phillip Lacasse, and slowly learning all of the various tasks that he will be responsible for, including feeding him and moving him to and from his specially made chair that he can use for movement, Dell begins to discover that this might be the greatest job opportunity he has ever had. He doesn't have to worry about paying for his food or where he's going to live, and Dell even receives a large paycheck at the end of the week to spend on essentially whatever he wants. As Dell tries to set things right with both his ex-wife and son by keeping the job, Dell comes to the startling realization that helping out Phillip might be beneficial for both of them. Together, Dell and Phillip form an unlikely friendship that involves both of them slowly rediscovering how exciting and joyful living their lives to the fullest can be. 

 The Upside proves to be a enjoyable and cheerful story that is constantly entertaining and dramatic, as well as uplifting if nothing else. The movie understands its ability to craft together compelling and captivating characters, and it precisely accomplishes exactly that. Both Dell Scott and Phillip Lacasse are showcased as flawed and relatable characters, making them far easier to root for. In fact, Phillip Lacasse may be immensely wealthy and come from a socioeconomic class that allows him to be quite sophisticated and knowledgeable about the arts, but he is still just as human as the rest of the world. This is partially why Phillip and Dell are able to form a unique friendship, and even though they both have their own faults, Dell doesn't judge Phillip for being a quadriplegic and Phillip doesn't judge Dell for his criminal record. 


 The Upside greatly benefits from a star-studded ensemble that helps to transform an otherwise predictable plot and story into a thoroughly entertaining and hilarious roller coaster. Kevin Hart is spectacular as Dell Scott, and as per usual, Hart ensures that his character is one of comedy, emotion, and packed to the brim with personality. Hart is able to showcase his comedic chops to help pour plenty of humor into some very serious situations. When it seems like all is at a loss in either Dell or Phillip's life, Hart's depiction of Dell allows the character to remain optimistic and remain his usual charming self to spread positivity. Bryan Cranston is brilliant as Phillip Lacasse, and he gives a surprisingly fantastic performance. Cranston is able to highlight how emotionally torn Phillip feels as a person, and despite all of his money and influence, he is still unable to use this money to buy himself happiness. Cranston and Hart combine together to form a dramatic and personal relationship, and when both of their characters are having fun messing around with one another, audiences can't help but feel similarly. 

 The Upside is a truly pleasing adventure that is able to feel incredibly heartfelt, giving the movie plenty of solid strengths to work around. There's no denying that the movie honors the true story it's based off of, and its delicate between hilarious comedy and heart-wrenching emotion helps to form big smiles by its conclusion. Thoroughly inspiring in its entirety, the movie is able to highlight the comedic chemistry between two strong performances from Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston, as well as demonstrate what it's like to live as a quadriplegic in a pragmatic manner. The juxtaposition between two people that come from different worlds may be common and slightly predictable, but this doesn't stop the contradicting comparison between Dell and Phillip to be any less enjoyable. Concise and cohesive, a wonderfully positive story is crafted together that appeals to the human side within all of us. With the capability to feel both serious and silly simultaneously, this feel-good movie is definitely a must-see with plenty of upside. 


The author's comments:

"Yvonne, there are very few things in my life I can control. And you know that. My time and the people I choose to share it with are at the top of my list." - Phillip Lacasse