Dunkirk | Teen Ink

Dunkirk

Dunkirk proves to be a historical period drama that combines together heartfelt emotion and real events to form a truly immersive adventure. Taking place during World War II, the story revolves around troops that are stuck on the beaches of Dunkirk. As powerful Germany continues to grow and advance their war effort and subsequent strength, including the amount in which it spreads its horrific goals, this results in all of the neighboring nations in Europe feeling the burden. Germany continues to move into France, pushing back the forces there and taking the land as its own. In fact, the repercussions of such actions include leaving Allied troops abandoned. Stranded at the beaches of Dunkirk, it seemed like many of the soldiers there were doomed to perish, especially due to a lack of supplies and outside aid. As the forces there struggle to get by, and are forced to endure through overhead attacks, troops begin to use unlikely sources as a means of survival. Through the help of ordinary citizens, nearly any and all ship or naval vessels that were available were utilized to help evacuate troops away from the beaches. This was done in a calm, slow, and steady manner, and this involved maintaining organization throughout all of the troops, even through one of their darkest moments. As various European soldiers begin to find freedom once more, it becomes quite clear that some of the most notable moments of the second World War came in the most unlikely of sources. 

Dunkirk is noteworthy for its ability to balance between true history and emotional, heart-wrenching drama. This creates a roller coaster ride that makes audiences feel just as torn at the situation as the soldiers stranded on the beaches themselves. As a result, the movie becomes an immensely immersive adventure, one in which historical events are told in a personal and thought-provoking manner. There's no debating the movie's ability to bring history to life, bringing the pictures and words in textbooks through a visually beautiful story. Capable of composing together a thoroughly unified plot, the movie has a clear and concise beginning, middle, and end, as well as plenty of cohesion to bring it all together. 

Dunkirk truly benefits from plenty of incredibly vivid visuals. Capturing even the finer elements of the history that is being told, the very beaches, clothes, attitudes and looks of the soldiers that serve as the main characters are all manifested with ease. This is a huge reason why the soldiers in the film are so easy to root for and why they can actually become relatable as people, despite how their brave actions occurred so many years ago. The movie may take place during the past, but the infusion of modern visuals allows the film to feel surprisingly fresh and vibrant.

Although Dunkirk does in fact have splendid visual and special effects, it certainly isn't for everyone. There is a true lack of dialogue throughout the film, with little to no talking scenes. This forces the film to occasionally become slightly uninteresting at times, even for those familiar with the real history. The movie certainly takes the time to build the drama and raw emotion necessary to captivate the audience's attention, and while this may be worth it by the end for some, this also creates an incredibly slow-moving story. It often feels like the movie's pace is unbearably painful and more of a tedious burden than anything else, especially in the start of the film, and this is obviously not ideal. Despite all of that, the film is still directed to its very finest capability, with plenty of scenes crafted marvelously. The storyline of the movie should still be considered profound, and its meaningful portrayal of the stories of so many strong soldiers is still one of the movie's main and proudest focal points. The film is unafraid to showcase such, and this helps to make the whole plot feel important in its entirety. 

Dunkirk combines together history and fictionalized drama to demonstrate what it was like for soldiers to live through the harsh period of time that was being stranded on the beaches of Dunkirk. With a stupendously directed adventure that brings out the best in all of its actors, the soldiers of the film are transformed into compelling and captivating characters. The movie is definitely deserving of its impressive 93% from Rotten Tomatoes, and while it can definitely be slow at times, this slight fault should be ignored for the fact that movie preaches an important tale in its showing of the history of real soldiers. World War II is nearly always a delicate subject to discuss, one that requires careful planning to truly elaborate certain events, but the movie is absolutely capable of breaking through this barrier. It may not be a must-see for everyone, but it is still worth giving a chance, especially for fans of Christopher Nolan, its director. 

"We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets. We shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender." - Tommy