Slumdog Millionaire | Teen Ink

Slumdog Millionaire

November 29, 2019
By Anonymous

 Slumdog Millionaire proves to be a dramatic and intense adventure that combines together the power of money, some of the horrors that exist for India's poverty, and a young man in love as that one man attempts to go from being a nothing to being a successful millionaire. The movie revolves around Jamal Malik, a young man that has risen up from some of the worst places and parts of India as he attempts to change his fortune around on a game show. In fact, Jamal is a contestant on India's version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" and is only one question away from winning the grand prize of 20 million rupees. As the show goes on, Jamal has flashbacks about the questions being asked to show just how he got into the situation that he is in. As this occurs, it becomes clear that Jamal has not had an easy life. Growing up in a poor family, with no real chance of escaping his socioeconomic status, Jamal and his brother, Salim, have had a rough life from the start. They have very little money and the schools they attend are poor, at best. However, things become drastically worse when Jamal and Salim's mother dies. This results in Jamal and Salim being forced to do whatever it takes to survive, becoming a part of a group of thieves on the dangerous streets of Mumbai. While Salim seems contempt with living a life of crime, Jamal feels torn by this lifestyle. This leads to Jamal finding small jobs, consisting of whatever he can scrape on by, and Jamal continues to do such until he finally finds a spot on the beloved game show.

 Slumdog Millionaire proves to be a deeply moving and emotional roller coaster that showcases some of the raw monstrosities that can occur for those born without financial power in India. Living a life in poverty is shown to be living a life full of difficulties, and this can be incredibly depressing and downright painful to watch. The amount of suffering experienced by Jamal and his brother are truly notable, and it is easy to see how such horrors could be capable of motivating and moving Jamal to become such a complicated and complex character. Dark and gritty in its entirety, the movie effectively tells the story of a young man trying to escape from his social class and status, but in the process, the movie has a love story at the heart of it. In a way, the film is very reminiscent of the concept of Cinderella, with a person going from rags to riches, and just like that famous fairy tale character, Jamal is also equally in love. Jamal is obsessed with a young girl named Latika, a person that he used to grow up with, and Jamal has spent years of his life trying to track her down and find her so that he could be with his one true love. It is this attempt to find love that creates an enriching story packed to the brim with emotion, varying from starstruck love to violent and chiseled drama. 
 Slumdog Millionaire intends to appeal to the average human in all of us, mostly by pulling on the heart strings, and this works wonders for the film. Even just the concept of having someone go on a game show is relatable, seeing as anyone could accomplish such, and this is made further apparent by the fact that this contestant, Jamal, is really just a nobody. Jamal is a nobody that has come from the true bottom of the country's dirt and rags, and that's what makes him a character that is just so easy to root for. This allows the movie to create a consuming plot with compelling characters, and all of that combines together to form a story that captivates the audience's attention with relative simplicity. 

 Slumdog Millionaire may revolve around a simple concept, which is just someone trying to abandon poverty to become rich, but the movie's execution is anything but basic. With aid from plenty of profound and moving emotion, the movie demonstrates the troubles that Jamal Malik must experience and ultimately overcome. Utilizing a combination of the elated fun that comes from game shows and the brutal honesty that comes from Jamal's life, the movie is significant in all of the right ways. Without a doubt, this is an absolute must-see. It's that good. 


The author's comments:

"When somebody asks me a question, I tell them the answer." - Jamal Malik