Bonnie and Clyde | Teen Ink

Bonnie and Clyde

November 22, 2019
By Anonymous

 Bonnie and Clyde is a dramatic crime thriller that helps to detail the life of some of the world's most notorious outlaws in Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow. Bonnie Parker is just a simple young woman living in the southern part of the United States. She works as a waitress during a rough period of time for the country, and while many continue to suffer in her area, especially farmers that lose their land, she also endures through, struggling to decide what to do with her life. She's miserable as she is now, dreading to go to work and in need of a break from this life that seems to be nothing more than a dreaded trap. However, this all changes for Bonnie Parker when she first meets Clyde Barrow, a confident and arrogant young man that quickly grabs the attention of Bonnie with his natural charm. Even though Clyde seems to be too appealing of a person to be real, he soon informs Bonnie that he has actually just been released from prison. Although Bonnie is slightly skeptical of this note at first, thinking that Clyde looks nothing like a criminal, Clyde quickly proves her wrong when he robs a local store in a nonchalant manner. Upon discovering the potential consequences of their actions, Bonnie and Clyde run away in a hurry, with Clyde explaining to Bonnie how he plans to rob banks as revenge for how they are responsible for taking away the land of farmers. As much as Bonnie seems to understand that entering this life with Clyde might have detrimental results, she can't help herself as she is quickly persuaded to join forces with Clyde to rob banks and escape away from her horrific job to a world of adventure and excitement. Together, Bonnie and Clyde forever change the shape of what it means to be an outlaw, becoming notorious and notable throughout the United States as they continue to rob banks. 
 Bonnie and Clyde is a truly action-packed adventure and proves to be filmed to the brim with exhilarating drama that completely changes how audiences will forever view the names of Bonnie and Clyde. As the name suggests, at the very heart and core of the movie is the relationship between Bonnie and Clyde, which proves to be quite complex as they go on the journey of their lives. Bonnie seems to only be robbing banks out of shear boredom and the fact that she has nothing else to do, while Clyde has a weird obsession to prove to the world and banks that he is a force to be reckoned with. In fact, Clyde is actually such a peculiar character in how ambiguous he is when it comes to robbing banks. While Clyde seems to be fueled to rob, and enjoys utilizing his stellar shooting skills, which he claims to be the best there is, Clyde is also genuinely offended when storeowners wish to stop him from stealing their money. Clyde is actually insulted when one storeowner in particular tries to kill him when he tries to steal from the store alongside Clyde, and he seems unable to realize that what he is doing is morally wrong. 
 Bonnie and Clyde perfectly highlights the counter-culture vibes and feelings of the 1960s, and this is made evident by the actions of Bonnie and Clyde themselves. While Bonnie and Clyde were actually outlaws before this time period, the movie is still able to showcase a rebelling mindset. Taking place at a time when the country seemed to be falling apart, especially economically, many middle and lower class families were drastically affected. This included farmers of all shapes and sizes, with many having nowhere to go once they lost the land that had belonged to their families for generations. The land and farms of these people would then go to the banks, and this is exactly why Clyde Barrow felt it was necessary to take money from these banks, despite how many banks were becoming bankrupt themselves. Clyde almost feels like a hero robbing banks, with the concept of taking money away from the greedy acting as a representation of the poor standing up to injustice. Furthermore, Bonnie only goes with Clyde as an attempt to break away from the boring and staple life that has been formed for her, preferring to break the law and rebel in a criminal manner. 

 Bonnie and Clyde is a true classic that combines together meaningful characters, an earnestly entertaining story and wickedly vivid visuals that were revolutionary for the cinematic industry at the time. While the movie isn't necessarily a biography of the real lives of Bonnie Park and Clyde Barrow, it is still able to glamorize and glorify their criminal careers as some of the most notorious outlaws in history. There's something for everybody in this treat of a film, and with aid from a talented cast that shines throughout, the movie is able to click on all levels, providing a plot that is thorough and entirely enjoyable. Without a doubt, this is an absolute must-see. The real Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow would certainly agree. 


The author's comments:

"This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks." - Clyde Barrow