Captain America: The Winter Soldier | Teen Ink

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

By lesley0624 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
lesley0624 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

“I’m with you ‘till the end of the line, pal.” Those were Bucky Barnes’ words to Steve Rogers, spoken 77 years ago in 1942. In the ninth Marvel Cinematic Universe superhero action film, Steve Rogers, known as Captain America, faces an enemy with a painfully familiar face. Steve Rogers, the “man out of time,” embarks on a nostalgic and action-packed mission in the Russo brothers’ iconic film, Captain America: The Winter Soldier

In Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Steve “Captain America” Rogers, played by Chris Evans, has to defeat HYDRA, an evil organization that strives to derive the Earth of free will. Rogers, along with Black Widow, Falcon, and Nick Fury, bravely rushes to deactivate three helicarrier aircrafts with the potential to massacre millions of innocent people on HYDRA’s hit-list. However, they run into the dutiful Winter Soldier, a brainwashed murder machine with a dark past that Rogers has to face. Captain America: The Winter Soldier displays deep themes of espionage, corruption, trust, and the complexity of the modern world. “[Captain America is] trying to acclimatize to the modern world. He’s a man from the 1940s. He’s just woken up… Suddenly there’s the internet, cellphones and The Patriot Act. The technology’s new to him and so is the access the government has to that technology,” states Chris Evans in an interview with Empire. This film plays a vital part in explaining Captain America’s role as an Avenger in the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The characters in this film have complex arcs which will leave an unforgettable impression on viewers. Steve Rogers, played by Chris Evans, comes to terms with his past throughout the movie and overcomes various obstacles. Evans portrayed Captain America’s bravery, determination, and patriotism wonderfully with striking emotion. Additionally, the Winter Soldier, played by Sebastian Stan, develops throughout the movie, even though the character only speaks a mere twenty words. The Winter Soldier secretly deals with pain and suffering, and Stan embodies the hidden personality of the villain with only his eyes— an astonishing feat that allows viewers to connect with his character. This movie also features Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson/Falcon, and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury. With such talented and incredible actors portraying these roles, the viewers can really feel the characters come to life.

Directors Joe and Anthony Russo, along with the rest of the camera crew, editors, and workers on set, perfected the cinematography and special effects. The fight scenes, especially the remarkable highway chase depicting the Winter Soldier, were clean-cut and realistic. The intricate choreography painted the brutality of the Winter Soldier as well as Captain America’s unique super-soldier strength. Moreover, special effects such as fiery explosions created a specific atmosphere for each scene. 

Production design and music score played an important part as well. Each character’s costume was designed with one purpose in mind— to fight for their lives and their cause. Captain America’s rugged suit and Falcon’s wings fought against the Winter Soldier’s powerful metal arm. Furthermore, the background music added to the suspense in certain scenes. One could hear Captain America’s heartbeat growing faster in some scenes, as well as eerie music and even deadlier silence when needed. A remarkable music score would be the Winter Soldier’s opening theme— the sound of shrill screeching and drums signified his emergence and the beginning of a fight.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a captivating film that will leave you in awe. Grossing over an astounding 714 million dollars worldwide, this movie surpassed many people’s expectations. As you watch Captain America navigate through his personal conflicts and struggle to save mankind, remember that not everything is as it seems. This film teaches viewers about the deep roots of friendship, heartbreak, and trust. When you watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier, you have to “keep both your eyes wide open”— a bit of advice from Nick Fury.