Rear Window | Teen Ink

Rear Window

By hannahmonroy BRONZE, Methuen, Massachusetts
hannahmonroy BRONZE, Methuen, Massachusetts

Every single day, staring out the window at the busy neighbors, living as they do normally, not aware that someone is watching them. Witnessing so little, yet so much. An accident causing you to sit inside day after day, not being able to leave. Trapped inside the walls of the New York City apartment. As boring as this may seem in your neighborhood, L.B. Jeffries neighbors give him something he cannot believe. Alfred Hitchcock’s 1954 amazing mystery movie, “Rear Window”, keeps you wondering what will happen next in Jeffries’ neighbor Lars Thorwald's apartment.
     L.B. Jeffries, a photographer, breaks his leg and is horrified with the fact that he is now trapped in his apartment for weeks, only able to move where his wheelchair can take him. His boredom leads to a habit of watching every move of each of his neighbors. He watches a dancer, a lonely woman, a songwriter, and someone he believes to be a criminal. Lars Thorwald, a man who lives in an apartment across from Jeffries, lives with his wife who he argues with continuously day after day. Lisa, Jeffries’ girlfriend, notices and comments on how attached he has become with observing others.
     Once Jeffries noticies something that seems too suspicious to be good and informs Lisa and his nurse, Stella, they both became totally engrossed as well. All three of them watch Lars Thorwald over a few days and notice he did not go to work, he left the house three times with a suitcase, and was seen with both a butchers knife and a saw. Tom, the detective called over by Jeffries refuses to believe that there is anything suspicious is going on and says there is nothing he can do about it. Therefore Lisa, who has grown too apprehensive, decides to take matters into her own hands. She gets herself arrested and puts Jeffries in a situation that could result in death.
     Although most of the story is viewed from inside Jeffries apartment, we are still introduced to so many more characters with a story themselves. Such as the lonely woman who has dates alone each night in her apartment, one night she pretended to be on a date with a man and broke down crying realizing she was alone. The dancer who does not know what man to be with, and the confused, lonely songwriter, who is having trouble writing a song. As well as Jeffries story with Lisa, and how they decide to handle the situation they have witnessed. Alfred Hitchcock kept the movie interesting and full of suspense by constantly having something happening, whether in L.B. Jeffries’ apartment or in the apartments that were across from his. This way there was never a dull moment for anyone watching the movie because of all the interesting things happening to absorb.
     I recommend “Rear Window” to anyone who enjoys mystery movies that are full of suspense. There were a lot of instances where I thought I was in the movie and had to be cautious of what would happen next. I was left wondering what was going to happen next after each scene and it kept me interested and involved the whole time. Such as when Lisa decided to sneak into Lars’ apartment to see what she could find, I was anxious the whole time about him coming back. This movie is good for most ages, especially high school teenagers such as myself. I normally would not choose an older movie like this but when I stumbled upon it and read about it, it seemed like something worth watching, which it definitely was. My family also watched this movie after I mentioned it to them and they told me they were on the edge of their seats the whole time. I am glad I chose to try something new like this Alfred Hitchcock mystery, because it widened my variety of movies I now can choose from.

I would like you to consider my movie review for "Rear Window," Rated PG, 115 minutes. 

This is a simultaneous submission. 

Thank you