Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events | Teen Ink

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events proves to be a surprisingly charming comedy that has elements of fantasy and manages to brings Lemon Snicket's famous book series to life.

The movie revolves around three children that become orphans after their parents mysteriously die in a large fire. The children consist of Violet and Klaus Baudelaire, as well as their baby sister, Sunny. Violet is the oldest of the group and a terrific inventor that enjoys giving purpose to small items that most would regard as useless and nothing more than trash. Klaus is an avid reader that soaks in everything that he get his hands on, absorbing the knowledge learned from books and applying them to the rest of his life. Sunny is a biter at heart and puts her teeth on just about anything that is near her. Because they have nowhere to go, the three orphans are sent to their distant relative, Count Olaf, to go live with him. Count Olaf proves to be a crazy guardian that certainly doesn't care about the children, and it seems that he only wants them so that he can gain the money that their parents left them. Olaf is a true schemer that is willing to do whatever it takes to gain the money, including putting the children's lives in danger and forming lies to ensure that he can get what he wants. After the children quickly realize Olaf may end up doing some truly horrid things to them, they escape from his ferocious clutches and end up going from distant relative to distant relative, including their Uncle Monty, a quirky man that enjoys snakes, and their Aunt Josephine, who's afraid of just about everything. Meanwhile, the children soon discover that wherever they go, Count Olaf is never far behind, mostly due to his clever disguises and personas that he creates. As the children begin to learn just how ruthless and cunning Count Olaf is, they begin to unravel a much greater mystery that seems to be at the heart of all of their conflicts. 

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events proves to be an exhilarating adventure that is packed to the brim with suspense and mystery. The movie stays true to its title and truly transforms into a series of unfortunate events that make Violet, Klaus, and Sunny's lives a challenge throughout. The worst certainly comes to these three orphans, and because of this, the film is able to flesh out their personalities through the usage of story arcs and profound character development. 

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events manages to be a cohesive story from start to finish that challenges the famous book series for conciseness. The beginning of the movie seamlessly introduces audiences to Violet, Klaus and Sunny, as well as what their lives were like before the fire that took their parents' lives. The middle of the movie does a solid job of progressing the plot along and creating more drama for the children's lives by highlighting more of their struggle against Count Olaf. The enticing ending of the movie manages to brilliantly wrap up the entire story by connecting back to the start, while also proving to tie up all loose knots in a conclusion that successfully brings the movie to an end. 

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events is a classic that sums up Lemony Snicket's long book series with a single movie. Aided by a tremendous performance from the legendary Jim Carrey as Count Olaf, the villain of the movie proves to be complex, multi-dimensional, and as funny as he is scary. With a meaningful villain that pushes the main characters to their very limit, the movie is able to become substantially more interesting and that much more thrilling. Without a doubt, this movie does Lemony Snicket's book series justice and proves to be a must-see for all fans of the classic book series. 

"The film that you are about to see it is extremely unpleasant." - Lemony Snicket