Rocky II | Teen Ink

Rocky II

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Rocky II is the sequel to the original classic and continues the adventures of everyone's favorite underdog boxer, Rocky Balboa. Taking place directly after the events of the first movie, Rocky Balboa is dealing with the events of his match with Apollo Creed, the heavyweight champion of the world. Although Rocky Balboa is still just a working-class citizen just trying to make a living, he is now considered to be famous, because most of the world still enjoys his cinderella story of being able to go head-to-head with the top boxer in the whole world, despite how the match ended up being considered a loss for him. The whole sports world nows cares about what's next for Rocky, and now that he has a sudden surge in fame, he has a chance to make money by doing things that aren't just fighting. However, Rocky soon realizes that this new life isn't entirely made for him. He doesn't enjoy being in commercials and acting as someone that he isn't on the inside. Because of this, Rocky is forced to search for a different source of income, especially since he has decided that he should retire from the boxing game, mostly due to doctor recommendations and how his right eye isn't doing well. In fact, Rocky has been warned that continuing to fight could lead to his right eye becoming blind permanently. Rocky is now forced into a bit of a crisis, because he can't work at an office job, since he never finished high school, and manual labor jobs don't seem to work out that well for him either. However, things aren't going so well for Apollo Creed either. Apollo is still upset by the mail he receives from haters of how he nearly lost to an unheard of fighter and still feels as though he needs a shot at redemption. In order to finally figure out who the better fighter is, Apollo steeps to a lower level and gives jabs at Rocky and arrogantly places Rocky into a situation where he can't refuse to step back into the ring. 

Rocky II proves to be just as big and extraordinary as the original, and just like the first film in the franchise, this movie continues the tradition of showing Rocky as the average person attempting to accomplish the impossible. Rocky is still dealing with the severe injuries he suffered during the first fight with Apollo, and Apollo is the most dangerous fighter alive with his rare combination of agility, speed, and raw strength. Because of this, regardless of how much Rocky trains, it's going to be a fight that requires everything and then some that he has. Rocky isn't portrayed as a god-like fighter, but instead, he has to deal with regular problems, just like the rest of the population. Throughout the movie, Rocky ceases to receive a break, and it seems as if his life is beginning to fall apart. He's a fighter that isn't supposed to fight, and it's starting to affect his relationship with Adrian. Therefore, this fight with Apollo Creed becomes personal and that much more entertaining for audiences. The natural importance of this fight allows drama and emotion to be conveyed with ease, and it also causes viewers to be dragged to the screen in anticipation for what comes next. 

Rocky II had the difficult task of coming after the classic original that has still stood against the test of time, and for the most part, the movie acts as a triumphant sequel that adds to the movie universe's mythos, as well as add onto the characters that are involved in the movie, with a heavy amount of character development going to Rocky Balboa. The movie feels like a continuation of the original, and this allows watchers to feel that much more immersed in this exciting world of boxing. There aren't really any flaws with the movie, and this sports adventure does an excellent job acting as a giant character arc for Rocky and showcasing how much of a roller coaster his life really is. 

Rocky II has the rare ability to be enjoyed by both critics and viewers alike. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an impressive 73%, which is actually a fairly solid score, and an outstanding 95% of Google users liked the movie, solidifying the concept that this movie is a good fit for a wide variety of audiences. 

Rocky II has a majestic story that deserves to be seen, charismatic characters, and is an overall charming movie that will be sure to please. Aided by a spectacular performance from Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa, the movie has plenty to offer for just about anyone and everyone, including those who aren't usually the biggest fans of boxing. As an inspirational story that will suck audiences into this movie universe, this is absolutely a must-see. 

"He's all wrong for us, baby. I saw you beat that man like I saw no man get beat before and the man kept coming after you. Now we don't need that kind of man in our life. I know what you're feeling. Let it go.....let it go. You're the Champ." - Apollo's Trainer