Captain Marvel: Superhero Empowerment | Teen Ink

Captain Marvel: Superhero Empowerment

By Gredel_ikonomi SILVER, Tirana, Other
Gredel_ikonomi SILVER, Tirana, Other

MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) debuted with the first Marvel movie after the death of Stan Lee; Captain Marvel, marking their first female-led superhero, a former US Air Force fighter pilot, Carol Danvers interpreted by Brie Larson. The movie sets in 1990 and follows the story of Carol Danvers as she tries to put together the pieces of her past. But it’s more than just her knowing herself and her worth.

Captain Marvel starts with Carol Danvers in an alien planet, six years after a crash erased all of her memory. She is part of Kree soldiers who have a long-running, boundless war with the Skrulls, another race alien. The team leader of Kree, Yon-Rogg teaches Carol to control her afresh photon energy powers. During a war with the Skrulls, Carol is caught by one of them, and as she escapes their spaceship, she lands on planet C-53 (Earth). After landing on Earth, it’s her job now to fight the Skrulls and win the war between them, with the help of S.H.I.E.L.D agent, Nick Fury (Samuel.L.Jackson). Her instantaneous chemistry with Jackson reinforced the movie and transmitted it perfectly to the audience.

Samuel L. Jackson representation is quite amusing and entertaining. His humor and spontaneous character developed uniquely the whole scenes. I was thrilled to see the young Nick Fury in action and determine more about his past.            

However, while Carol stays on Earth she realizes that the situation is completely different from what it seems and another plot is in motion. By the time she got to learn the truth about herself, and more about her past, she was stuck in her own shell and couldn’t escape it. It was determined that since the beginning of the movie, Carol had great abilities and a lot of potential, despite the fact that she was far from perfect. We all have hard time dealing with our difficulties and hard to convince ourselves to take risks, and that’s what Carol was struggling with. Many of her friends emancipated Carol from her dark and deep exterior by looking upon her. They knew that she was capable of helping them not only of her potential and dynamic, but also the commitment and dedication that she had on helping out people that deserve it. She knew what was the right thing to do and with a little assistent by the Skrulls she got to save many of them, their families and children, regardless it meant putting her life in danger.

Captain Marvel doesn’t only lecture Carol being the new superhero in the Marvel community, but it also approaches social issues of a woman finding her independence in a male-dominated world. It covers plenty of stereotypical female issues for Carol Danvers, and many of her struggles, based on her sex. Throughout the movie she was being teased by her male peers in numerous sports and activities. But what’s important is that she showed everyone that even in the toughest, arduous times, she still gets up and stronger than ever, creating a powerful, marvelous scene for the viewers. She emerged as woman who works hard to disprove the sexist treatment she experiences and proving anyone wrong.

The intense music in the background generated a fierce, passionate display of the movie. She empowered the  audience in a wonderful process, how women fight until the end to make things right and ignore any unnecessary elements that we’ll make them stop.

One great thing about this movie are the visuals. I love how the fighting scenes centers Carol herself and exhibits her powerful potential skills. She was able to battle a group of powerful baddies. Everytime a fight scene got intense, Carol used her photon energy powers, which exploded like fire from her hands. During the end of the movie a force surrounded by an orange-ish aura picks Carol up. This is one the best creation of all times that I’ve ever seen in a Marvel movie!  

Captain Marvel, in my point of view did an excellent job and I personally was satisfied with it. The scenes were built up together and it spread the message quite good. This compassionate and courageous woman will open doors for other female-led superheroes in Marvel movies and I’m pretty excited to hear more. By the end you learn that just in time for April, Captain Marvel is also part of the most talked about Avenger Movie: Avenger Endgame. There, Carol, with the cooperation of other superheroes, doesn’t only save a population, but the whole world. Marvel has not only considered Captain Marvel as a female who takes small steps, but also as a woman who takes a step forward in a bigger picture and breaks through.