Hercules Movie Review | Teen Ink

Hercules Movie Review

May 10, 2019
By ssgymnast22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
ssgymnast22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments


We all know and love the stories of Cinderella, Snow White, and most recently Ana and Elsa. When you think of Disney movies you immediately think of the princess movies, but I’m here to tell you that the princesses are overrated  but what about some Greek mythology? If you didn’t know, Disney makes other animated movies that are not about prince and princesses. In fact, the best Disney movie is not a princess movie, but the story of a hero name Hercules.

Hercules tackles the ancient legends of the Greek gods. Trust me, this isn’t a history lesson, but an updated tale of Hercules’ quest to get back home to Mount Olympus. Like most Disney animated movies the musical numbers are one of the most entertaining parts of the film. It starts out with the fierce and soulful Musses. Throughout the entire film the musses will have you singing and dancing to their kind of gospel music as they narrate Hercules’ story. The kind of pop and gospel music was a new style for Disney to tackle, but it payed off—catchy and fun songs like Go the Distance and Zero to Hero will be stuck in your head for the rest of the week.

Hercules, also known as ‘Jerkules’ due to his clumsiness and his inability to control his god-like strength, is an outcast and feels as though he does not belong in the human world, this will have you rooting for him throughout the whole film. Little does Hercules know he is the son of Zeus, king of the Greek gods. After finding this out, Hercules is determined to get back home, and the only way is to become a true hero.

Like most Disney movies, there is the villain trying to ruin the life of the hero, and Hercules is no exception. Working against Hercules is Hades. You may remember from 6th grade social studies class Hades is the Lord of the Underworld. Hades is accompanied by his two twerpy shape shifting goblins, Pain and Panic, that remind me of the beloved Pumbaa and Timon from The Lion King because of their humorous and toxic relationship they have with each other.

It wouldn’t be a Disney movie without a love story. While Hercules trains to become the next hero of ancient Greece, he mistakenly recused a damsale not-so-in-distress, Meg. Different from most girls, Meg doesn’t melt over the sight of Hercules and his huge biceps, but she also has a secret she is keeping from Hercules. Will the romance survive?

Hercules, released 22 years ago in 1997, was new territory for Disney, and I would have to say it was a huge success. Its pop culture references, humorous characters, and humble hero makes Hercules stand out from the mundane disney princess movies. Next time you are searching Netflix for something to watch, consider watching Hercules, you won’t regret it, and in the off chance you do, it is only an hour and a half out of your day.