Us: The Thrilling Thriller | Teen Ink

Us: The Thrilling Thriller

April 26, 2019
By Jo_Bartolone GOLD, Pewuakee, Wisconsin
Jo_Bartolone GOLD, Pewuakee, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Today’s movie under review is the new thriller Us. This new blockbuster had its zenith during the opening week coming in second in the Box Office with 33 million dollars. This movie triumphed in different ways. It incorporated hints of comedy along with creepy scares and a deeper ending I never saw coming.


The multi-dimensional film included a haunting backstory that set the stage in a warm summer night at a theme park on the Santa Cruz boardwalk. The main character, Adelaide, (Lupita Nyong’o) is just a young girl who lives with her parents.


One day, she wanders off into a mysterious tunnel filled with reflecting mirrors. One of the reflections turns out to be a real girl. The movie then flashes forward to her growing up scarred as a young child. The movie flashes forwards, and years later she has grown up and started her own family. The incident as a child remained in the past until her family decided to go to their summer home out in Santa Cruz. As weird coincidence begin to plague the family, as soon as Adelaide begins to feel scared about her past incidents, a family is seen outside of their door holding hands. As the family breaks into the house, Adelaide begins to realize that this is her reflection she saw all those years ago.


Each one of her own family members had a deranged look-alike that had come from underground tunnels to kill their clones. The rest of the movies portrays the struggle the family and the surrounding area faces as killer clones from beneath attack thousands. This is followed by an ending that will take your breath away. Some parts of the movie are too gory to enjoy for a younger audience; however, it is a thrilling and exciting movie for the appropriate audience.


This thriller is exquisite due to its depth behind it. It has comedic scenes along with scenes that will make you want to hide underneath your blanket. It has a captivating storyline along with a deeper meaning of how the film relates to everyday life.


Rate: 9.7/10

Recommended: Young adults and horror film lovers!