The Pocket Review of Pulp Fiction | Teen Ink

The Pocket Review of Pulp Fiction

April 17, 2019
By Anonymous

The perfect movie will contain clever lines from characters, an interesting plot, and unique details that define the movie, as well as literary devices that enhance the impact of the movie, like foreshadowing or in media res (starting the movie in the middle of action). Pulp Fiction, as quite a few of Quentin Tarantino’s movies, do, cross off all of the boxes.

Pulp Fiction begins with a scene of a couple eating at a restaurant, soon; however, they agree on attempting to rob the restaurant, and the scene ends with the couple beginning to tell people to give the couple their wallets. The point is, it is a powerful scene that begins the action right in the beginning of the movie. The scene also connects to the very ending scene, showing the movie’s clever continuity.

The movie, however, does have a confusing storyline, with brisk, vignette-style scenes from different parts of the movie being confusing and not making sense at the beginning. This can potentially be annoying to some, however, it is understandable once one realizes that is is purposeful, and that it adds to the “oddity” of the movie.

The plot is interesting and humorous, and may seem nonsensical to some. The plot relies on four characters: one, being the character Butch, played by Bruce Willis, who is a boxer that bets on himself in a high stakes match. Butch wins the fight, accidentally killing the other boxer, and is on the pursuit by Marsellus Wallus, played by Ving Rhames, because of the fact that Butch was supposed to lose the fight. Marsellus Wallus sends two hit men after Butch, Vincent Vega and Jules Winnfield, played by John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson, respectively.

While the previous paragraph was focusing on the main plot, there are several subplots in the movie that tie together, and could be confusing to some. For instance, there is the couple, mentioned before, stealing from a restaurant that Vincent and Jules are in. Another one would be when Butch and Marsellus are attempting to kill each other, with both of them eventually being captured by two pawn shop owners. Eventually escaping together,they form an uneasy alliance. While some people do enjoy this, it may seem hard to understand the movie at times, due to all of the different things happening. If you rewatch the movie a few times, however, you will realize the plot of the movie better, showing the genius of the movie.

In total, the movie is great for those looking for a clever, nonsensical, humorous movie that delivers on being as funny as it is sad at times. The movie certainly harkens back to Quentin Tarantino’s style of making movies that offer more details when you truly look, as well as having the viewers “reading between the lines” to find references and foreshadowing. I recommend this movie greatly, with a warning being that the movie will be hard to understand at first. However, if you take the time to listen to the dialogue and pay attention to what the characters do, it will certainly bring a new meaning to the movie that many are bound to enjoy.


The author's comments:

This piece was created for a school project, however, I feel that this will do well in showing others what the movie Pulp Fiction is about. Hopefully this may influence someone who is contemplating the movie.