Film Review of Finding Forrester | Teen Ink

Film Review of Finding Forrester

March 22, 2019
By copperminer78 BRONZE, Naches, Washington
copperminer78 BRONZE, Naches, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


Finding Forrester is a movie starring Sean Connery. The people or company that made this film is Columbia Pictures. The movie is rated PG-13. The director is Gus Van Sant. I Would give this movie a solid four out five. The movie is one of my favorites at this point actually. I have only seen it a singular time in class.


The screenwriter’s name is Mike Rich. I would have to say that these two people have created one of the best movies that me and my group of friends quote almost daily. One of the best quotes of the movie is “write 5,000 words on why, you should stay the … out of my home.” Which is said by William Forrester whom is played by Sean Connery. The genre of this film is drama. Another significant character is  Jamal Wallace. He is portrayed by actor Rob Brown. I would have to say that the interactions between Connery and Brown made the film be more of a comedy than that of a drama.


The movie is based off of the novel Finding Forrester. The novel was written by James Ellison.


Some parts of this film stood out for instance, there was a bit of racial divide between Forrester and Wallace. Such as there was a scene where Jamal commited a couple of crimes. Those crimes were breaking and entering and theft. In that scene in particular Jamal grabbed a letter opener and put it in his backpack. Forrester then jumped up and scared Jamal. Jamal ran out of the building and forgot his backpack. The next morning after that brief interaction Jamal’s backpack was dropped out of the apartment window. When the next scene started it had Jamal in his room looking at his journals and discovered that Forrester had pulled a teacher move and graded Jamal’s writings.


Towards the end of the movie one of Jamal’s professors decided to be a jerk towards the students. One of them was a side character named  Mr. Coldridge. (Coldridge is played by Michael Pitt) Coldridge couldn’t figure out who wrote a poem and Jamal helped him out by saying “just say your name man.”

After, that the professor and Jamal started challenging each other which ended with Jamal getting thrown out of the classroom that day.


To spare spoilers I will end on that note. Plus, in conclusion that was my review on the movie Finding Forrester. As previously stated I give this movie a solid four out of five stars and I highly recommend it to others.


The author's comments:

This piece is for a class assignment.