Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again | Teen Ink

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

By charlid22 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
charlid22 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

After ten years of waiting for the sequel to the original Mamma Mia to come out. It is finally here, and people can’t stop talking about it. One of the top musical movies of 2018, coming in as number two on the musical charts.  “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again” will leave the viewers singing until they can’t sing anymore. Switching between past tense and present time. The movie shows how Donna (Meryl Streep) and daughter Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) are chasing after life one step at a time. This movie represents outstanding songs, tense shift, and love that is shown throughout the entire movie.

“Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again” contains lots of upbeat and heartfelt songs. All the songs in this movie have come from a 1970s pop group known as ABBA. ABBA’s top hit, “The Winner Takes It All” ironically does not make an appearance in the sequel. “The Winner Takes It All” was only performed once. Sung as a duet between Donna Sheridan and husband, Sam Carmichael (Pierce Brosnan) at the end of the original film. Fourteen new songs and eight new voices taking this movie by storm one note at a time. Grandma Ruby Sheridan (Cher) sings only one song, “Fernando”, yet still manages to take the viewers breaths away everytime they watch. Switching between young Donna’s life and Sophie’s life they are constantly singing.

This movie has a unique set up. Changing from past to current time, this is called a tense shift. Switching between young Donna trying to find her purpose in life, and Sophie remodeling a hotel on the Greek island of Kalokari to honor her mother and make her proud. Having a tense shift shows how much Sophie and her mother really are alike, it adds so much emotion to the movie and I love that about it. Both of them being in Kalokari, both being pregnant, and both having a baby at the end. Makes them so much more alike and make it feel like Sophie has never been so close to her mother before. If the movie didn’t have a tense shift we would not see everything Donna did and went through to make sure Sophie had the best life possible. I am so glad this movie switches from past to current tense to show how much love there really is.

Love is everywhere on the little island of Kalokari. To start, Sophie has three dads who include: Bill Anderson (Stellan Skarsgård), Harry Bright (Colin Firth), and Sam Carmichael. We never do find out who Sophie's biological father really is, however, the amount of love she has for every single one of them is unbelievable. I like that we don’t know who her real dad is because they all are. She doesn’t see one as more of a father to her than another. Sophie’s husband Sky (Dominic Cooper) is in New York learning how to run a hotel and isn’t sure if he wants to come back in the beginning. I’m not trying to spoil anything, but thank god he ended up coming back to her. I don’t think the movie would’ve been as good if he had stayed. Once he returns he comes to find out his wife is pregnant, and he wouldn’t want to be anywhere else with anybody but with the people he loves. The actors in this movie really do make a difference, they all work so well together and have such a good rhythm, acting with one another is a natural thing for them.

The songs, tense shift, and love in “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again” are just three parts of the movie that stood out to me most. After watching the movie for the first time I was already singing and downloading the songs so I could listen to them 24/7 on repeat. I am super impressed with this movie being number two on the charts for the musical genre in 2018. Considering it took ten years for this sequel to come out. The feedback this movie had was off the charts. As Donna Sheridan said “Life is short, the world is wide” So don’t waste any more time and go watch this movie.