Maze Runner: The Death Cure | Teen Ink

Maze Runner: The Death Cure

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Maze Runner: The Death Cure is the third and final movie in the Maze Runner franchise and epically concludes the adventures of Thomas and his friends. It all starts with Thomas and other Gladers doing their best to run away from W.I.C.K.E.D and save other young adults in the process, whom the corporation is hunting down, before the evil corporation can mentally torture them and study their blood and bodies. However, when Thomas realizes that he still hasn't saved his old friend Minho, who has been there with him since the beginning, Thomas and a few of his other friends, who have also been there since the very beginning, journey to the last city on the planet, in an attempt to end things how they started them: together. Even though Thomas soon finds help in a strange source, he's going to need more than all the help that he can get to break into W.I.C.K.E.D and survive a city that is littered with thousands of already turned people infected with the deadly virus that everyone is so intent on finding a cure for. Although Thomas has gone through so much already, all of his hard work might not be able to pay off in the end, because there is only so much he can handle. 
 Even though parts of the movie are more than just slightly predictable, Maze Runner: The Death Cure does a good job of adding some much desired suspense and drama to the franchise. The beginning of the movie does a brilliant job of jump starting the movie's excitement and is jam-packed to the brim with adventure and action. Although the middle of the movie tries its best to help the movie flow throughout, this part feels the most boring, stretched out, and over-stuffed by far. In fact, this portion of the movie fails to improve the movie on multiple accounts and truly is lackluster. The enticing end of the movie is arguably the best part and takes advantage of the incredible character development that the franchise has developed and progressed over the course of three films. This ending manages to tie the entire series together and brings the franchise to a proud close that ensures viewers won't be confused or entirely let down. Although the movie doesn't really want to let go and tries its best to hold onto every last minute that they can grasp, the heart-warming, yet, at the same time heart-shattering ending ties together everything to transform the franchise into a cohesive, complete story and combines everything that the three movies had been building up to. All loose ends are successfully tied up, and it really is magnificent to see a franchise conclude in such a triumphant manner.

Maze Runner: The Death Cure benefits greatly from having vividly terrific visual effects that are truly amazing and help to capture the ferocious battle scenes. These superb special effects are without a doubt one of the movie's main highlights and help to bring out all of the characters' inner-strength and grit, while also being incredibly entertaining to watch. Secondly, the actors in the movie seem to have about as much fun as one would like to see, and this is clearly evident in Thomas's role. Dylan O'Brien is able to do a sufficient job of playing the character and is still capable of proving why he has become the face of the franchise. 

Even though Maze Runner: The Death Cure was a hit with viewers, critics were far from being thrilled with the film. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a poor 43%, and IMDb only gave the movie a not-so-great 6.3/10. However, an outstanding 94% of Google users liked the movie, which probably best demonstrates how the movie was most successful with young adults, due to the large difference in between the marks between how viewers and critics felt. 

Maze Runner: The Death Cure isn't perfect, but it manages to bring the Maze Runner franchise to a close in a solid manner that proves to be satisfactory, and even though the film isn't the strongest in the serious, it still manages to not provide fans with an absolute flop. 

"They’ll never stop until we can stop them." - Thomas