Bohemian Rhapsody | Teen Ink

Bohemian Rhapsody

December 3, 2018
By Patrick_Vandenberg BRONZE, Lethbridge, Alberta
Patrick_Vandenberg BRONZE, Lethbridge, Alberta
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

      Although a biography in the form of a movie may not sound very entertaining, when mixed with a dash of comedy and an 80’s rock band, you get a great movie. In Bohemian Rhapsody you will get a very detailed view into Freddie Mercury played by Rami Malek, the director did an amazing job showing the troubles in Freddie’s life going deep in depth with his sexuality. Although Freddie Mercury died of aids in 1991, Rami Malek did an amazing job showing his acting abilities in recreating his image. The movie portrays the life and death of Freddie Mercury and the band Queen, as a teen I’ve never really listened to Queen, other than the hit Bohemian Rhapsody, it provided me with well needed insight into the band.    

       Although at some points they portray Freddie as a self-centered rock star pushed on by his not so great friend, Paul. He almost tears the band apart all the while you can start to see how sad and depressed Freddie is. This movie was designed to pull on heart strings with sadness of a drama while it does have some comedic hints it has a deeper tone hinting on his depression and insecurities of his sexuality. 

     The set and atmosphere of the movie helps to bring back the 80s theme along with a touch of nostalgia with the very classic styled movie. I almost came to believe I was attending a concert, as they did an amazing job showing all of the numerous people who loved the band in the audience of the numerous performances shown in the movie. The movie is not very fast paced and is very easy to understand and makes it easy to comprehend all of the troubles that the band goes through to make it to concerts such as the final Live Aid performance. The movie so far is not bringing a lot of income only sitting at around eighty-nine thousand box office income. While 93% of audience viewers have enjoyed this heart felt drama rotten tomatoes gave it a 62% which I personally think is an understatement as the movie brings great insight to otherwise curious viewers. This movie in my opinion was an all-around good watch while it may not fill your need for fast paced action but if you are looking for a Sunday night family movie this is exactly the type of movie you want.