Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle | Teen Ink

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

November 30, 2018
By NellyBell18 SILVER, Wilminton, Delaware
NellyBell18 SILVER, Wilminton, Delaware
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments


Cast ( Outside the game ): Alex Wolff, Ser’Darius Blain, Madison Iseman and Morgan Turner


Cast ( In the game ): Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, Karen Gillan, Nick Jonas and Bobby Cannavale


Directed by: Jake Kasdan


Produced by: Matt Tolmach & William Teitler


Story by: Chris McKenna


This movie is based off of a story by Chris McKenna as part of the Jumanji franchise. It is also based off of a children’s book of the same name by Chris Van Allsburg. This film is a sequel to the first Jumanji made in 1995 starring Robin Williams as Alan Parrish. This new version of Jumanji pays tribute to the late Robin Williams by using his characters name Alan Parrish and by using his game piece in the film. In addition to that, a replica of the board game piece that is used by Williams's character, also appears as an important clue for the Jumanji game's new players.


Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) is an amazing and humorous comedy/adventure film. The actors/actresses that were chosen for this movie portrayed their characters perfectly. The players they chose to be in the game are completely opposite of who they really are outside of the game. They didn’t know what their players looked like or what they did in the game until they got sucked into Jumanji.    


In my opinion, this new version of Jumanji is nothing compared to the original Jumanji. In the first movie they used a board game, not a video game. The original characters had no part in the second movie besides Alan Parrish, and the new version of Jumanji didn’t pick up were it left off in the original film. Although, what I do like about Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is that it’s funnier, more realistic, adventurous and it’s more modern than the first film. The cast really brought life to the characters they played. The movie wasn’t sloppy or confusing at all.  


Four high school teens ( Spencer, Fridge, Bethany, and Martha ) got in trouble in school and ended up getting detention. Their punishment was to clean and straightened up a storage garage in the school where they found an old video game. The boys decided to get curious and play it, not knowing what was going to happen. As they started the game, they noticed that one of the players was already picked, so, they went on to pick the other remaining players. Then they convinced the girls to play. After the last girl picked the last player of choice, they all got sucked into the game. They literally fell out of the sky and landed in the jungle of Jumanji. Shaken and confused, they later figured out that they were the players that they had chosen and they each had a tattoo on their wrists that represented three lives. They walked till they found out they had special abilities, after a while a programed vehicle approached them with a man who picked them up telling them the story of Jumanji. After walking and exploring some more they end up in a village where they found the other player that was already chosen, he took them back to where he lives explaining things to them but he didn’t know he has been stuck in the game for years. They went on to finish their quest of Jumanji where they cross paths with the bad guys.   


Overall Jumanji is a fantastic movie. It is a family friendly movie that will have you laughing till you can’t anymore. This is a great movie to watch on family night or when you have friends over. I would seriously recommend this movie to anyone who likes to have a good laugh.