Alien: Covenant | Teen Ink

Alien: Covenant

By YukiFeng GOLD, Staten Island, New York
YukiFeng GOLD, Staten Island, New York

Picture an unsuspecting seven-year-old watching an alien creature down a poisonous substance coupled with striking clips of said creature’s insides rotting, as its DNA strands turn to dust. For the cherry on top, the next clip shows the quickly decaying corpse falling down a waterfall, body parts breaking off as it plummets. As my young eyes watched the actors of Prometheus scream in pain, I knew then that I was in love with Ridley Scott’s Alien franchise. The series of movies has proven Scott’s skill time and time again. So, when its successor, Alien: Covenant, came out in 2017, I knew I had to watch it. With every terrifying flinch I felt during the 150 minutes, I can say with confidence that it did not disappoint.

Taking place ten years after the events of Prometheus, Scott lets us know what we’re in for by starting off with Captain Jacob Branson (James Franco) being burned to a crisp, leaving his wife, Daniels (Katherine Waterston), a widow. Alien: Covenant involves crew members aboard colony ship, Covenant, heading towards a new planet for humans to settle on. However, they change course and end up on another planet, wading through what seems like paradise for the rest of human existence. However, just like the rest of the films in the Alien franchise, pleasant views quickly turn sour when terrifying extraterrestrial beasts, Xenomorphs, begin devouring humans. Alien: Covenant also delves into artificial intelligence and the everyday fear of technology overthrow. The moment Daniels and crew members find an older generation android, David, willing to help their dying members, they leap at the chance.

When a bloody Xenomorph rips its way out of crew member Ledward’s (Benjamin Rigby) chest, it gave the audience a taste of the carnage in the movie. The crack of his ribcage accompanied by his writhing body emanated the gory sights that are a staple of the Alien franchise. Michael Fassbender also plays two separate roles, Walter and David. Walter is the newest generation android whereas David is the previous one from years back, dating to Prometheus’ failed expedition. Ordinarily, robotic acting is shamed upon, but Fassbender's use of emotion that’s barely there breathes life into the characters, providing for a shocking plot twist.

The eerie music that plays throughout the movie adds another level to this cinematic masterpiece. When the events seem to be turning up for Daniels, we can hear light classical music playing, deceiving the audience with a sense of peace. Music composer Jed Kurzel quickly turns this around by incorporating the classic slow-going music that makes your skin crawl. This contrast of moods plays on deception, a pivotal concept throughout the entire movie. The plot twist at the end did what it intended to do: slither into the back of my mind and settle there, making me desperate for more. Scott leaves us on a cliffhanger, yet still manages to tie us in back to the beginning, when David is talking with his creator. He does so by playing the same classical music that we started with, but alongside a horrific scene instead.

Alien: Covenant was one of the best developed movies by director Ridley Scott, who’s been on top of the sci-fi genre for decades. Scott’s cinematography hits the spot for audiences, and it shows in the money his movies bring in ($240 million for Alien: Covenant). For instance, I nearly fell off my seat when the Xenomorph’s tongue shot into a member’s skull out through their lifeless mouth. As an enthusiastic of bloody sci-fi movies, I will, without a doubt, forever remember Alien: Covenant.