Back to the Future Part III Review | Teen Ink

Back to the Future Part III Review

By njdMatthew BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
njdMatthew BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

“You built a time machine out of a DeLorean" is what Marty McFly says when he finds out what Doctor Emmet Brown has built a time machine. This line is what sets up the whole trilogy of Back to The Future. The first movie was released in 1985 and got an extreme amount of popularity, so the movie branched out into a trilogy. The second movie was received generally well and was a good movie, but the third movie in the Back to the Future trilogy was nothing more than a disappointment.

In the first movie, Marty McFly goes back in time 30 year to 1955, where he meets his parents and tries to get them back together. After he succeeds in the second movie, he goes back to the future and ultimately creates an alternate timeline, where his arch enemy, Biff, it becomes extremely rich and powerful. After he stops Biff, he is about to go back to 1985, but Doc is hit by lightning in the DeLorean and he is shot back to 1885. When the Doc was in 1885, he sent a letter to be kept in the post office so Marty can get it 1955, making sure Marty knows where he is. Thus, setting up the plot for Back to the Future Part III

In the third movie, Marty goes and finds the DeLorean that Doc had left since he went to 1885, and uses it to go see him. Marty finds out Doc had been shot a couple of days after he had sent the letter. Marty travels to find out that he is in the Old West, and Doc has been living there all along. He finds Doc and convinces him to go back to 1985 with him. As they are going to the DeLorean, they meet a Clara Clayton who Doc immediately falls in love with. This romance between Doc and Clara does not feel natural to the movie and just feels shoehorned in, just to give more detail to the plot.

While Doc and Marty are trying to figure out how back to the future, they have some trouble with Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen, the ancestor of Biff. Marty and Biff do some fight scenes that are pulled from the first movie. This repetition from the third movie shows a lack of creativity from the writers and how they just resorted to what they already had made. In the second movie, they repeated those actions scene as well, but they also added new exciting ones too. In this movie, the only other exciting action scene is a cliché wild west duel scene that Buford challenges the Doc to a fight the fight he challenges him to is the when the Doc is supposed to be killed according to the future. But other than that, I feel that there isn't much action to captivate the watcher. 

Marty and Doc then find a way to get up to 88 miles an hour so they can get back to future. They have to put the DeLorean in front of a train to get it up to that speed. The only catch is that the next train that is coming into town is coming in shortly after Doc was supposed to die. The night before this happens, Clara and the Doc break up, leading the doc to get drunk and pass out for a couple of hours. This leads to a race against time the next morning. Doc is passed out in a saloon and right outside is Buford trying to kill him. Then there is Marty who is trying to wake the Doc up and get them to catch the train. 

This is one of my favorite things from the Back to the Future series. The suspense of whether or not they are going to make it is always a treat for first-time viewers. This is very well executed in this movie because the odds are heavily stacked against Marty and Doc's favor.

The Doc ultimately does get up and he and Marty are able to escape from Buford. He and Marty then grab the DeLorean and hijack the train. While this is going on Clara is thinking about her breakup with Doc and decides to take him back. She rushes to go find. Marty and the Doc begin the process of going back to the future.

When they are about to travel back to 1985, Clara goes on the train and convinces Doc to stay in 1885 with her. I really do not like the constant flip-flop in Doc's decision, it kind of shows a breakdown in his character. He never really thinks about the idea of him staying in 1885 that much in the movie, so at the end it kind of comes as a surprise

Marty goes back to the future and the DeLorean is destroyed by a train. Then Doc shows up in a train time machine and tells Marty that he controls his own future. This kind of seems out of nowhere since they were in the past, and talk about their futures in the second movie Then the movie ends. 

Overall, it was the most underwhelming movie out of them in the great trilogy.

I really like the Back to the Future series but I hate the third one.