Sierra Burgess is a Loser - Review | Teen Ink

Sierra Burgess is a Loser - Review MAG

By hannah_gillam BRONZE, Brisbane, Other
hannah_gillam BRONZE, Brisbane, Other

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated

“Sierra Burgess Is a Loser” is a Netflix original movie that was, not surprisingly, overhyped. Many people, including me, were let down by this movie for the main reason that it contained themes that shouldn’t be romanticized.

When polpular Veronica, played by Kristine Froseth, gives the phone number of Sierra (an awkward and unpopular classmate played by Shannon Purser) to an oblivious boy named Jamey (Noah Centineo) a romance blossoms. But Jamey thinks he is talking to Veronica the whole time. Veronica and Sierra team up to keep Sierra’s identity hidden, but after some drama and irrational thinking, Jamey finds out. Although, the themes of love and mistaken identiy have been explored in films before, this teen movie exhibits behavior that shouldn’t be romanticized for its young viewers.

Throughout the movie, you see Sierra catfishing Jamey (luring someone into a relationship by adopting a fictional online persona or in this case, pretending to be someone else). The characters obviously develop feelings for each other, but Sierra is so desperate to keep the facade going she agrees to tutor Veronica who in turn, will help keep up Sierra’s act. They go so far as to go on dates together. Catfishing is not illegal in most places, but it can really hurt the person who is being catfished.

During the middle of the movie, Veronica and Jamey go on a date together while Sierra stalks them nearby; she even helps out Veronica when she gets stuck on what to say. Eventually, Jamey decides to lean in for a kiss. Veronica covers his eyes and lets Sierra kiss him instead. This scene has caused controversy with the film’s viewers, as Jamey does not know who he is kissing and therefore it is non-consensual. This is one of the movie’s biggest no-nos. Jamey never finds out about it, and there were no repercussions.   Sierra also lies to Jamey about being deaf because she is so scared to let him know she was really the girl he has spent hours talking to. And to top it all off – toward the end of the movie, Sierra hacks into Veronica’s Instagram account and exposes her in front of the whole school.

“Sierra Burgess Is a Loser” had such great potential. The actors are amazing, but this movie didn’t let them shine. The director, Ian Samuels, did a good job with the pacing, but the movie misses the mark. Although some scenes are enjoyable, the film’s negative and controversial themes did not sit well with me. “Sierra Burgess” is, most definitely, a loser.

I had actually written this days after the movie came out