The Kissing Booth | Teen Ink

The Kissing Booth

By kaitokid GOLD, Iloilo, Other
kaitokid GOLD, Iloilo, Other

The first time I heard of Netflix’s The Kissing Booth, the movie just clicked to me. I presumed the movie itself was fun and worthwhile as my friend who recommended it would say. Well, the movie really didn’t disappoint me. After that moment I finished watching, I thought I should recommend it to you, too. Let me tell you why.

What hooked me into the film is the story itself. Elle Evans (Joey King) and Lee Flynn (Joel Courtney) are best friends since birth, as they might claim to be. They share the same age, birthdate, passion for dancing, almost everything. Raised like twins by their moms, they are inseparable, bound with no secrets and lies to each other. There’s no love interest between them, they are just friends. Then, here comes Noah Flynn (Jacob Elordi), Lee’s famous older brother and the gigantic wall that overshadows his reputation in his entire high school life. Elle has had a long time crush on Noah, but because of one of the rules she and Lee made up for their friendship, she has to keep it hidden. Yet, an unexpected incident takes place in the kissing booth in the school fair which has made everything, little by little, start to change. Now, Elle arrives to a point where she has to decide: it is a choice between friendship and love.

Based on Beth Reekles’ book with the same title, this screenplay of Vince Marcello, touched with his distinguished direction, is a work of art. Marcello knows very well where he’s not good at: injecting dead air in the script. That’s why there is no part of the movie where I find myself bored and sleepy. I also admire how he balances humor and drama and when to deploy them. The accumulation of his creativity in every scene and every dialogue gives me a feeling of a passing rain in the desert.

Another notable factor in the movie is the portrayal of characters. King doesn’t overdo her acting. She comes as natural as a hurricane leaving me awestruck. She fits perfectly to Elle’s jolliness and vibrant appeal – this must be the reason she seems to be enjoying in the movie. Her narrations in the scenes are remarkable. It is like she’s talking to me with a spell to every word she throws, and I just can’t help but listen to her. She is an actress that everyone should watch out. The boys, Courtney and Elordi, are also convincing in playing their roles. They are like two different weathers giving a splendid variation of atmosphere in the movie.

With all things considered, The Kissing Booth is a magnificent movie with a splendid story and screenplay and compelling characters. I confidently recommend this for you to watch because I doubt it would disappoint you. If you find this film fascinating, please tell your friends to watch it.