Speed | Teen Ink

Speed

By kaitokid GOLD, Iloilo, Other
kaitokid GOLD, Iloilo, Other

“Speed”, a Jan De Bont’s action-thriller movie, brings you to a heart-racing journey that seems endless. With no signs of stopping, you might find yourself holding your breath.

The film is about a Los Angeles Police Department cop, Jack Traven (Keanu Reeves), who happens to answer a phone call from a mad bomber (Dennis Hopper), after the latter exploded a city bus. The bomber notifies Traven that a similar bomb is planted in another bus. The bomb arms once the speed reaches over 50 miles per hour (mph).  When the passengers try to escape or when the speed falls off below 50mph, the bus will explode. The salvation of the civilians lies on the hands of Traven. And the bus is running to a fatal blow.

De Bont’s direction is spectacular. He manages the motion-packed film to project eye-locking scenes, heart-breaking stunts and compelling audio effects. No wonder, it won two Academy awards for Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing.

The portrayal of the actors has also seasoned the effectivity of the movie. Keanu Reeves has never had a role like this before. He previously played a mystical Prince Siddatha  (look for this film) who was fanciful. It’s jaw-dropping to see him as a serious and focused protagonist. Moreover, you can really sense fear in the gestures of the passengers that will make you feel scared and wanting for the next scenes. Annie (Sandra Bullock) is also notable in her role as a cool driver (after the original driver has been accidentally shot by a passenger). All in all, the actors embody mastery and depth.

The best thing about this movie is it never leaves you hanging. It has a rich plot, cultivated with series of twists and turns, thus, predictions aren’t recommended for the viewers. You might think the movie ends from one scene, but later you’d find out, it begins another climax.

“Speed” is a reeling story of action and life. It runs in a constant motion, in a constant pace, and it requires you to fasten your seatbelt. This genre will even demand you to grab the arm of the person, sitting next to you or the other way around. So, watch out!

However, if you have any heart problems, “Speed” isn’t for you.