Good Time Will Give You a Good Time | Teen Ink

Good Time Will Give You a Good Time

By arshaddmohammad BRONZE, Fremont, California
arshaddmohammad BRONZE, Fremont, California
1 article 1 photo 2 comments

Good Time directed by the Safdie brothers starring Robert Pattinson is nothing like I've ever seen before. It's a riveting film that manages to keep you gripped so well, you're afraid to look away for even a second in fear of missing even the smallest detail. The film opens on a close up of Nick (Benny Safdie) during a session with his therapist. This scene in particular was fantastic, the performance by Benny Safdie had led me to believe the actor himself was mentally disabled, however I found out it was untrue until after the movie. Safdie's portrayal of Nick and the emotional struggles the character faces is flawless, furthermore the fact that the scene was only a few minutes. Aside from Safdie, Pattinson shone on Good Time. He managed to create a violent character with no character arc who was a downright scum. While the character was a horrible person, Pattinson still incorporated the protective feelings of Connie towards Nick, while that does little to redeem the character it dives deeper into the personality of the character. The camera work was especially unique, as most of the shots were close-ups and the camera was constantly shaking. At first, personally I was not a fan until later, when the angles and shots of the camerawork made me feel a certain way while watching the film. The constant motion of the camera work gives a sense of chaos and the close-ups made me feel claustrophobic. As if everything was closing in on Connie and time was running out before he would lose his brother. The camera work facilitated to the overall feel of a thriller and crime and would not be the amazing film it is without it. In addition to the angles and motion, most of the events of the film occur during the nighttime in New York. The city that never sleeps. The film incorporates a great deal of lighting and neon colors. The color palette consists of mostly red and black, both colors come together to symbolize danger. Again, adding to the crime feel of the movie. While the movie was riveting, I felt the pace of the movie slow down at a few points which halted the flow of the rapid pace, making you wait for the plot to pick up again. However, that did not affect the overall experience of the movie too much. Overall, Good Time is an incredible thriller with consequential performances and beautiful cinematography. 

I enjoy watching and reviewing movies. These articles are a way of sharing my love for many films. While movies are mainly a source of entertainment for the majority of the population, they have always been an educational source for myself and my family. Over the years, I have always learned a moral lesson from these films, but it hasn't been until recently I have started understanding the hidden meanings of life in particularly arthouse films. Although there are films that have shaped me into who I am today, there are also those that follow a pattern that go against the usual pattern of movies. It's these kinds of movies that dare me to stray from the usual path that everyone walks on. I hope you enjoy my reviews and can learn something from my interpretations of these films.