Wonder | Teen Ink

Wonder

By Mr_Swiss BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Mr_Swiss BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Wonder is an amazing heartfelt movie based on the book Wonder by R.J. Palacio.The book is about August Pullman who has a facial deformity and has been homeschooled his whole life. Him and his parents decide that he should go to an actual school for middle school. The book and the movie tell the story through the character’s different viewpoints. This movie is also an emotional rollercoaster because of the spiraling emotions of happiness and sadness. Although the movie is a little bittersweet because Julian bullies Auggie and then he apologizes which is sweet in the movie, but is bitter because it probably wouldn’t happen in real life.

Stephen Chbosky is the director of Wonder and does an amazing job too. Stephen Chbosky even got Wonder the humanitarian award for 2018. The movie does an amazing job portraying the book even though the movie doesn't capture everything from the book because of time constraints. Wonder is one of the best independent films of 2017, IMDB gave Wonder and 8 out of 10 and rotten tomatoes scored Wonder an 85%. The music almost captures every scene except for a few scenes when the same song is played. The costumes are perfect for each scene and fit what is happening in the movie too. The movie had some amazing talent though including the great Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson.

One thing that I disliked about the movie is that they didn’t show every point of view that could have helped the story. I would have liked to see what julian’s life was like and why he was such a jerk, maybe he had it rough at home. I wanted to see more of Julian’s parents because in the short few minutes we saw them especially his mom seemed like him. I also would have liked to see the story from Summer’s point of view because in the book she had a bigger role unlike the movie.

Movie review