The Incredible Magic of Being by Kathryn Erskine This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Life is so much better when you believe in the power of the universe. For 9-year- old Julian, it means having a special “uni-sense” that connects him to the vast night skies, occasionally warning him before things go wrong. When his family suddenly decides to move to Maine and open a B&B, Julian knows that this will be the perfect opportunity for him to finally get them to observe the magic of the starry night. He might even get to name a comet after himself along the way! Unfortunately for him, however, no one seems to believe in his powers or have time to spend with him. What’s worse is not even a day after moving in to their new home, problems arise between his family and their new neighbor, the widowed Mr. X. Suddenly it’s up to Julian set things right and show not only his family, but Mr. X as well, that the universe connects them in more ways than they believe.

If you love reading captivating novels that have a whole lot to do with space then Kathryn Erskine’s book, The Incredible Magic of Being, is the perfect book for you.

This book grabs your attention from start to finish with its young narrator, Julian, a 9- year old boy who provides a perspective so unbelievably realistic that I felt as though I had just taken a jump into my younger brother’s mind. Julian’s quirky but straightforward character made me laugh so hard as I read the book and all of the scenes between him and Mr. X really left an impression on me. This adorable character just wants to do what’s best for his family but has a hard time doing so with his two moms, one of whom is unbearably overprotective, and a “supernova” like teenage sister who no longer seems to understand him anymore.

The best part of this book are the F.A.R.T.s found all over. Yep, that’s right, there are F.A.R.T.s in this book, better known as “Facts and Random Thoughts”. These little tidbits of information usually inform the reader about certain celestial objects and occurrences, like the Messier Objects, or just some thoughts that Julian was having, usually related to space.

Overall this book was a great read. It had a thrilling plot that made me laugh and the twist at the end left me completely in shock. At the end of the day, this book makes me realize that there is more connecting us than we realize and that there truly is magic in the universe, we just have to believe in it. The seamless way this book portrays LGBTQ people was excellent and I would definitely recommend this book to all those around me.