Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I believe there are three types of books: those that are read and liked but never thought about again, those that are remembered and loved – perhaps even read again. Finally, there are books that change people's lives. Eleanor & Park is one of those.

Up-and-coming author Rainbow Rowell creates a work of art worthy of tears and laughter. This love story of two misfits sounds clichéd at first – the new girl finding refuge with the “weird Asian kid” who rides her bus – but this tale is far from a cliché.

As the book progresses, darker aspects of their lives are revealed, making them painfully real. Eleanor's inadequate home life affects her behavior, resulting in Park's insecurity about her feelings for him. Park struggles to fit in with his family and meet his father's expectations. Both battle to keep their innocence and, more importantly, each other.

When I read Eleanor & Park the first time, I was blown away by the realistic characters created in just 175 pages. Rowell gave them each a personality I found completely realistic; by the end, I almost believed they existed. Eleanor's snarky, sarcastic sense of humor made me laugh, and Park's sweet, romantic ways had me falling for him.

Rowell's writing style seems similar to John Green; both have a quirky style, use irony, and have a distinctive voice to convey their characters (and both writers break your heart with their plot twists).

Rainbow Rowell spins a love story laced with tragedy, humor, and the rebellious voices of two love-struck teenagers. I would recommend Eleanor & Park to anyone, especially readers who crave a love story with an edge.

runandgo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 11:24 pm
I didn't like this book as much as her other stuff but I could still appreciate the prose! Did you read Fangirl or Carry On? What did you think if so? I usually find that people are pretty divided and either like E&P or Fangirl.
JtatsuThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 11 at 7:42 pm
Personally, I didn't like this book so much, but that's probably because I'm not one for romance stories... However, you did make a clear and precise, well written review, and if I had not read it already, I would certainly be persuaded to do so now. Very nice job!
Kylier876 said...
Eleanor is so funny :) I love how she's not your typical "i feel bad for myself all the time and I won't do anything about it" type of character. And Park.....I have no words....<3 him.
megcmusic said...
I adored this book and loved it so much. I love how it was a bit of a throwback (walkmans instead of iPods or mp3s) and how amazingly different the two are. Park is kind of my future husband, I could totally see myself marrying someone like him :)
SadieJo said...
I. Love. This. Book. Pretty sure I fell in love with Park a few times while I was reading it. And Eleanor just broke my heart.