Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis | Teen Ink

Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis

By AWriterOfWords DIAMOND, Hamburg, New Jersey
AWriterOfWords DIAMOND, Hamburg, New Jersey

Facing the unknown is scary for anyone. But what happens if the one factor known suddenly vanishes? This is how Lynn feels in Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis after losing her security. Left on her own to the knowledge she has, she begins to learn that there is much more out there in the unknown and not everyone is the enemy.

Gripping her rifle in hand, Lynn manages to fall in love, which was never on her agenda as survival had always been more important. But when her heart begins to thaw, she finds herself caring about more people and ready to risk her life for them. When faced with the hardest decisions in her life, Lynn turns to her trusty rifle- but who is really the enemy?

The novel is set in a futuristic society, in former Ohio, where water is a rare natural resource- one that is worth killing over. At first, the novel provides enough background information for the reader to understand Lynn’s loss. But over time the reader is able to see such a stubborn character melt, truly making her a dynamic character. Not a Drop to Drink is a very unique futuristic novel as it is something that is predictable, yet has enough twists to truly capture the reader. A definite must-read for those interested in new and upcoming Young Adult novels.