Panic by Lauren Oliver | Teen Ink

Panic by Lauren Oliver MAG

By AWriterOfWords DIAMOND, Hamburg, New Jersey
AWriterOfWords DIAMOND, Hamburg, New Jersey

In Lauren Oliver's recent novel, Panic, the idea behind the game is fear. Fear paralyzes the body during most of the challenges, but the motivation for each player to keep going is the payout of $67,000.
Set in the small town of Carp, the novel takes place ­during the summer where one thread keeps all of the teen­agers tied together even after graduation: a game called Panic. They all have their own reasons for participating – some to prove they are fearless and some for revenge – but the game quickly weeds out the weak as the challenges get progressively harder.
Through Panic, Carp's teenagers are brought together by unlikely circumstances to face their fears and look death in the eyes. Both Heather and Dodge learn that when participating in Panic, no secret stays below the surface, and suddenly they find themselves no longer in control of their own lives but at the mercy of the game's judges. Will they end up winning? That is one secret you will have to read the book to find out.
As a fan of Lauren Oliver's other novels, I had a feeling I would enjoy her newest, and I was right. Once I began reading, I could not put Panic down. With every twist I wanted to know what would happen next. I love the idea behind the novel, but cannot picture myself participating in such a game.
In a way, Panic reminds me of a present-day Hunger Games, though more realistic. Overall, I highly recommend this great novel and advise you to get your hands on a copy.

ambivalent SILVER, West Bend, Wisconsin

everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. the worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. [sylvia plath]

DUDE I NEED TO GET THIS

midnightwoah said...
midnightwoah, Monett, Missouri

"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky

I can't wait to read this book (it's now in my possession). Hopefully it will be as packed as the Delirium  series.