The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark

Oscar Wilde once said, "Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." I cannot articulate the extent with which I agree with this statement.

As a student I spend 9 hours a day, 5 days a week in school, sitting in class and this is the same for students worldwide. I speak on behalf of students when I say that a good, inspirational teacher can change your perception and success in the subject in hand. This is until a teacher with whom we trust our education, and thus future abuses that privilege and in fact corrupts us.

In my opinion this is the case with the book in question. At the beginning Miss Jean Brodie gathers a group of girls that she see's potential in, yet one could interpret by the fact that she almost grooms the group so as to behave in her favor, that she also senses a element of vulnerability in them.

The recount on their lives is not only charming but shows how whilst living in the moment we do not fully perceive the motives of those who impose their opinions upon us.