Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell | Teen Ink

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

By AWriterOfWords DIAMOND, Hamburg, New Jersey
AWriterOfWords DIAMOND, Hamburg, New Jersey

“Why do we write fiction?” Professor Piper asked.
“To leave our mark. To create something that can outlive us” (22).

Just like in the dialogue seen in Cather’s fiction writing class, Rainbow Rowell wrote this revolutionary book to leave a mark, as it is something many people experience but have ever been written about before. I mean who would have the legendary idea to write a book about a writer? Luckily for us, Rainbow Rowell had the idea, which many of us can relate to. Many of us have been fangirls at one point or another- whether it was over Harry Potter, or Fall Out Boy, or in Cath’s case- Simon Snow.

Growing up with Simon Snow was Cath’s life, but unfortunately her sister Wren outgrew it before college and Cath did not. Going to college as a fangirl is hard for Cath, especially with her sister is acting so cold, her roommate not liking her, her roomate’s boyfriend Levi always hanging around, and being the youngest in her fiction class, and all she wants to do is continue her fanfiction about Simon Snow. As she emerges herself into college life, it’s hard for Cath to find the proper balance between Simon Snow and reality.

As soon as this book was in my hands, I knew it was going to be one of my favorites. As a fellow fangirl, it was something I could relate to and college is something we all face eventually so it was interesting to see how she would cope. Luckily, Cath is able to find a bit of romance outside of her Simon Snow fanfiction for herself, and the boy she chooses- I will not spoil- is her perfect match and are meant to be. Rainbow Rowell does not make the romance fake, but similar to her Eleanor&Park, she keeps it fresh and realistic, which makes it all the more interesting to read.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone out there who has been a fangirl of anything at one point in their lives or to someone who is an aspiring writer, because Cath is realistic and faces challenges similar to our own in today’s world. Once again, I found myself enthralled by Rainbow Rowell’s master storytelling and cannot wait to read more from this amazing YA author. If I was you, I would stop at a bookstore early on September 10th- the release day, to get your own copy of Fangirl before it sells out, because with the great quality from the author it will.