Ink: The Paper Gods Series by Amanda Sun | Teen Ink

Ink: The Paper Gods Series by Amanda Sun

By AWriterOfWords DIAMOND, Hamburg, New Jersey
AWriterOfWords DIAMOND, Hamburg, New Jersey

As I reached for the book, the beautiful face on the cover truly enthralled me and made me want to read it even more than before. What book cover was it? It was Ink by Amanda Sun. How would I describe this book in one word? Ink-credible (*audience laughs at my crafty pun*).

On a more serious note, this book was completely different than anything I have ever read before, making it even more memorable. The book takes places in Japan, a country I’ve only heard about it but never been to so I thought the book would be hard to understand but as a Gaijin (a person from a foreign country) I understood it with ease thanks for the glossary in the back of the book. The book features common culture of Japan along with a taste of the language, which in itself is different. Besides the accuracy of the cultural references, the story in itself is mysterious.
The protagonist, Katie Green, gets shipped off without agreement to an aunt she barely knows in another country: Japan. While in Japan, she meets the mysterious Tomohiro, and of course who doesn’t like a mystery man? Unfortunately if you were hoping for vampires and werewolves, this is not a book for you, but if you are seeking accuracy to mythology then you will be set. Through a series of events which brings Katie in for a run, she discovers Tomo’s secret which is he is part of the kami world. If you are like me, with no prior background knowledge, then you’re probably making a face, but fear not fellow reader. The kami are ancient beings who once ruled Japans as gods, which is explained in more depth, which I will leave to Amanda sun to do as you pick up the book to read.

Overall, Ink is one of the best books I have read. It is nothing like anything out there from the strong heroine and protagonist: Katie, to the lurking mysteries due to Japan’s history. Once you pick up the book, you will not be able to put it down and maybe you will ever find out you have the qualities of the kami. This upcoming book is not something you would want to miss as this will be all of the new in the book world in July when the book is released.

A truly memorable book where I am on-edge waiting for the next one of the series.