If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan | Teen Ink

If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan

April 28, 2013
By LivingTheDr3Am DIAMOND, Bedford, New York
LivingTheDr3Am DIAMOND, Bedford, New York
53 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Throw me to the wolves and I'll come back leading the pack."


Sahar and Nasrin have been best friends for eleven years. Ever since then, they’ve been in love. The two have kissed, pretended to get married, and dreamed of a future where they could be together. But that kind of future is forbidden in Iran; being lesbian is illegal. Sahar and Nasrin are constantly afraid of being caught, but their overbearing love for one another gets the best of them every single time…until a lovely young man named Reza asks for Nasrin’s hand in marriage. Not knowing what else to do, Nasrin accepts Reza’s proposal. Sahar is fuming. Never in her life, not ONCE has she ever dreamed that Nasrin would betray her like this. Not ONCE did she believe that Nasrin would throw away their love for a man. Not ONCE did Sahar think she would have to resist the urge to vomit while watching her best friend pick out a wedding dress, throw brilliant engagement parties, or move in with her husband. Sahar has had enough. She will do anything to get the love of her life back, even if it means getting a sex reassignment. This book follows the wonderful story of two girls in love, looking for a world that will accept them for who they truly are.


The author's comments:
I really enjoyed this novel. I've never read anything like it before. The story itself is unique, startling, and beautiful all at once. It entraps the reader in the Iranian world and lets them experienced the hardships this lesbian couple have to deal with to be allowed to love their soul-mate in peace.