Little Thieves by Margaret Owen: Review | Teen Ink

Little Thieves by Margaret Owen: Review

By annacerp BRONZE, Valhalla, New York
annacerp BRONZE, Valhalla, New York

They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds.
- Winston Churchill

ARC received in exchange for an honest review. Quotes utilized may be subject to change prior to publication.

I’ll admit, I’m relatively new to this whole ARC thing, and when I saw this book was over 500 pages, it took me a moment to gather motivation. I do not have a long attention span, and I was slightly anxious that my whole “trying-new-things” thing was going to crash and burn before page 300. Not to mention, I usually really only have negative things to say about books when I review them--more like rant about them. 

Thankfully, neither of those things occurred. This book was just--really good. 

"'True greed will do anything to take what it wants.'"

The thirteenth daughter of a thirteenth daughter, Vanja is said to be unlucky from birth. Given up by her mother at the age of four, she becomes the goddaughter of Death and Fortune, two Low Gods. However, there is limited maternity within the relationship. At the age of thirteen, Death and Fortune declare that Vanja chooses which of the two she would like to apprentice, essentially picking who she cares more for by becoming their servant. At the time, she rejected the idea entirely. But now, four years later, Vanja’s time is running out.

Burdened by an urge to escape her godmothers (and the money needed to accomplish that), Vanja, under an alias, comes to be a well-known jewel thief of the rich and wealthy. 

During her thievery, Vanja steals a mysterious ring collecting dust in the countess’ jewelry box. Unbeknownst to Vanja, this ring is much more than its appearance perceives. Cursed by Eiswald, another Low God, Vanja has a fortnight to return everything she has ever taken. But it isn’t that simple. 

Because, you see, once a lowly maid, with the help of enchanted pearls, Vanja became a princess. More accurately, she stole the identity of a princess. And now, she has to give it back. 

"There’s a saying in the Blessed Empire: Little thieves steal gold, and great ones steal kingdoms, but only one goes to the gallows. I’m not sure I agree. I’ve little interest in kingdoms, but even less in dancing with the hangman. And I’ve gotten very good--great, you might even say--at stealing gold."

Despite the synopsis portraying Vanja as a villain, she is much more closely related to an antihero. Owen flawlessly undertook the job of creating someone likable and engaging, but also with questionable morals. Vanja was the epitome of multidimensionality. She didn’t make the best choices, and she sometimes acted selfishly, but her intentions were just: she was trying to survive. Her wit, strength, and overall development made her a distinctive protagonist. Her trauma and her past were heartbreaking, and I couldn’t help but sympathize with her. Vanja was not the villain of this book. She was just a flawed character--marred by her past while also trying to break through it. 

Because in Little Thieves, Vanja not only has to overcome her adversaries, but also herself, her greatest enemy of all.

The romance element of this story, though not necessary, was superb; a classic enemies-to-lovers. Emeric was adorable, not to mention compassionate. He perfectly balanced Vanja’s generally pessimistic attitude toward the world. They both made mistakes, and they both hurt one another, but, undoubtedly, it reified their relationship and the feelings they felt. Really, it only made them stronger (Not to sound like a Kelly Clarkson song). Their relationship was certainly something to root for. 

"Once upon a time, there was a girl as cunning as the fox in winter, as hungry as the wolf at first frost, and cold as the icy wind that kept them at each other’s throats.

Her name was not Gisele, nor was it Greta, nor even Pfennigeist. My name is Vanja. And this is the story of how I got caught."

Little Thieves, by Margaret Owen, is quite the adventure. With charming characters, a captivating plot, and someone to regularly take my hate out on (Gisele), Owen provided everything I needed to keep reading. (That includes the hate-inducing character; because if you aren’t provoking emotion in me while I’m reading, you are doing something wrong) 

Set in a German-influenced, magical world full of creepy, ear-dwelling creatures and away too many golden statues of wolves, Little Thieves takes the cake on a fantastical world and story. 

Also, justice for Falada. 

"'I am the daughter of Death and Fortune, of Sovabin and Minkja. I have been an orphan, a servant, a thief, and a princess.'

'And which are you now?' Justice asks.

'Vanja,' I answer. 'That is the best I have.'"