Most Recent Book Reviews

Here are the most recent book reviews:

Blubber by Judy Blume This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Most days, I found myself in an archetypal scene; I held a fresh, chocolate-coated Long John in one miniscule hand and a heaping packet of cursive practice in the other. The no-longer-foreign stench of body odor, which remained unheeded due to... (more »)
Down with the Shine by Kate Karyus Quinn
Every place has stories about someone or something granting wishes. From wizards, magical pools, genies to everyday folk. Wish granting is a dangerous matter, putting it in the wrong hands could leave to world destruction.  Wishes can also be... (more »)
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
It is the year 1829 and something unimaginably horrifying has happened in Iceland. Agnes Magnusdottir, a servant sentenced to death for her part in the cold-blooded murder of two men, one of whom was her former employer and lover, is awaiting... (more »)
A Clean Well-Lighted Place by Ernest Hemingway
By , Clarkston, MI
Throughout your life you follow a path. The farther you go the more you gain such as family, friends, and faith. The older you get, and as the path becomes shorter the experiences you gain begin to fade. And as you go along the light at the end... (more »)
The Ultimatum: A Jeremy Fisk Novel by Dick Wolf
 In The Ultimatum by Dick Wolf, Detective Jeremy Fisk and his partner Chay Maryland try to stop a mysterious gunman named “Yodeler.”  This ruthless killer murders an innocent person each day “for the greater good of... (more »)
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow. This is the beginning sentence of the life-changing deep book I read, To Kill a Mockingbird. You may be wondering why I chose to include the first sentence of... (more »)
A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Bag by...
The laughter, the memories, the pain, and the happiness. These are just some of the feelings that run through your heart when you read this #1 New York Times Bestselling Author, Gordon Korman’s book, A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Bag.... (more »)
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
America is changing, and Chicago, its city of danger, magic, and rising black smoke, is determined to get to the top. When Congress rules the United States will hold a World Fair, there is a surge to create something like the world has never... (more »)
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
My Life Next Door, by Huntley Fitzpatrick, is a compelling story of one girl's struggle as a teenager. Samantha Reed, a shy reserved girl, sits outside her bedroom window ever since she was little watching the family next door. She watches... (more »)
Junius and Albert’s Adventures in the... This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
War is messy. In Peter Carlson’s book, Junius and Albert’s Adventures in the Confederacy: A Civil War Odyssey, two Union journalists cross enemy lines and get all-too-close to this truth. In documenting the harsh realities of the Civil War,... (more »)
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
A poignant novel, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak follows Liesel Meminger, a young  girl in war-stricken Germany, and her experiences with World War II through the eyes of Death. Death has an unusual perspective, encountering souls with... (more »)
Looking for Alaska by John Green
John Green’s lively and pragmatic novel that holds the hearts of readers throughout, Looking for Alaska, has become a phenomenon. The intriguing adventures and relatable struggles draw in the reader from the first page. This book is structured... (more »)
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S....
I’m doing this series in chronological order not published order. As this might read as the first book it is actually the second. In the era of war, children were evacuated from major cities to live on farms with people they have never met... (more »)
Always Running by Luis Rodriguez
Always Running by Luis Rodriguez is a thrilling memoir about a special event in his life in which he shared with his friend Tino: “Tino and I strolled past the stucco and wood-frame homes of the neighborhood consisting mostly of Mexicans... (more »)
Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
This term, I signed up for an English Class called Literature of Travel and Discovery, and one of our mandatory books was Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. I had previously read Krakauer's book, Into Thin Air, before, and quite enjoyed it. I knew... (more »)
Odyssey by Homer
By , Atascadero, CA
A strong will, intelligence, and safety are all mandatory characteristics in the survival of a group, but if you take those traits away, is there still chance at flourishing? In Homer’s epic poem the Odyssey, he demonstrates how even with... (more »)