Most Recent Book Reviews

Here are the most recent book reviews:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Here are a few words I must say before beginning this review: I shocked myself that I was even interested in picking this book up. I don't know what overcame me in these few seconds--maybe it was an adrenaline rush or a longing for just more... (more »)
1 comment
A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery... This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Hailing from the South is the story combo that will set in stone the identity of Flannery O’Connor—short stories laced in truth, good solid Christian faith, as well as often blood-letting horror sum up as several great adventures into the... (more »)
2 comments
The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant
I didn’t think I’d ever be able to enjoy Historical Fiction. I always thought that public school had completely drained out every aspect of enjoy there is in those kinds of books. The Boston Girl changed every opinion that I originally had... (more »)
Guys Vs. Men by Dave Barry
       Dave Barry's 'Guys vs. Men" article is a humorous way to show the degree of maturity to what it is to be a "man" and what it is to be a "guy". A man has more responsibility, maturity, and a sense of control, who knows when to be... (more »)
The giver by Lois Lowry
This is a book I really enjoyed. The world building and writing style was top-notch, and the characters were all very well developed and jumped off the pages as you read them. In this first book in a series of 4 (the giver quartet), there are... (more »)
3 comments
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
This book had it's up and downs but I turned out loving it in the end. The book started rather slow, but around chapter ten or eleven, things started to pick up a little. Then it got slow again, only to pick up speed later. This book was like a... (more »)
Final Exam by Pauline W. Chen
Death is a difficult thing to handle, even for doctors. Pauline Chen’s memoir Final Exam elucidates the paradox that medical professionals face at the end of life: they are surrounded by and deeply involved with the dying, but emotionally... (more »)
You Know You Love Me (Gossip Girl #2) by Cecily...
The Upper East Side of New York is where all the fun happens. From gossip about each other, to the cut throat competitions they do, and finally their university examinations. Where the Ivy League colleges’ only want the best, they are sadly... (more »)
We Wear the Mask by Paul Laurence Dunbar
     Due to his anger towards racism and racial prejudice at the time, Paul Laurence Dunbar utilizes metaphors and juxtaposition in order to divulge how African Americans worked to tolerate the racism and cruelty that they experienced from... (more »)
Jack of Spies by David Downing This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
     While at first glance, “Jack of Spies” by David Downing may seem like a promising spy thriller, it fails to deliver the correct mix of action and thrill to successfully be able to encapsulate and satisfy a reader. It follows the... (more »)
War Is: Soldiers, Survivors and Storytellers...
Is war avoidable through peace, or is it completely unavoidable, bred into the very fabric of our genetics? These are the two opinions discussed in the book War Is: Soldiers, Survivors and Storytellers Talk about War by Mark Aronson and Patty... (more »)
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
     One of the few books to have contributed to the everyday English language, Catch-22 by Joseph Heller is a truly comedic and iconic novel. Tracing the day-to-day lives of the pilots of the 256th squadron located in Europe during WWII, the... (more »)
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch... This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
What makes a villain a villain? In Gregory Maguire’s novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, the iconic story by Frank L. Baum of Dorothy Gale and her adventures though Oz are brilliantly retold told through a new... (more »)
Love & Lies by Ellen Wittlinger
You can spend hours reading a book to be completely crestfallen by its wasted potential and nauseously disgusted by the ending—but surprisingly, this does not describe Ellen Wittlinger’s lesbian, student-teacher Love & Lies. An engrossing... (more »)
Trackers (Trackers #1) by Patrick Carman
The internet is one of the basic needs for today’s society. Sure food, shelter and clothing are important, but for the civilize people of today, the internet is more essential than clean air. The issue is no one truly understands how the... (more »)
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
The Administration of Justice     “I wanted to kill….Yes, I wanted to kill…. But-- incongruous as it may see to some- I was restrained and hampered by my innate sense of justice. The innocent must not suffer,” states Justice Wargrave... (more »)