Most Recent Book Reviews

Here are the most recent book reviews:

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World...
One cannot begin to imagine the horrific life of a boy whose only known support group abandoned him and his family in the harsh, biting cold of the Mongolian steppe. Such a boy existed, and his name was Temujin. He later adopted the name Genghis... (more »)
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
A Tale of Two Cities was the first novel I read by Charles Dickens, though I have seen adaptations of A Christmas Carol in countless plays and films. I’ve heard many say that it was a good introduction to Dickens as well as one of his best... (more »)
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Welcome to the OASIS, a heaven and sanctuary for people across the world. This intergalactic scavenger hunt for one particular prize “egg” brings you across the extremely varied worlds this virtual reality provides you with. When the minds... (more »)
The Death Cure by James Dashner This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
WICKED is good.   As an avid reader of James Dashner's The Maze Runner series, that statement has really cultivated mushrooms of questions in my mind. With the fact that countless sacrifices and deaths are injected in the prequels, this has... (more »)
2 comments
The Retuen of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventure of...
     Many books have the element of surprise, a plot twist that completely throws readers off. This sort of thing can be found in books such as Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and Endgame: The Calling. But for now I would like to speak... (more »)
Regeneration by Pat Barker
Regeneration By Pat Barker (1991) The 250 page novel centers around the war-time hospital Craiglockhart in the Scottish city of Edinburgh. It follows the story of the pacifist poet Siegfried Sassoon and his doctor, Dr. W.H.R or Rivers. It... (more »)
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
 The world is always divided into two: the rich and the poor, light skin and dark skin, and the popular and the losers. For Ponyboy there are two people in the world, greasers and socs. Socs (short of social) are the popular, rich kids of the... (more »)
The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey
The Fifth Wave, by Rick Yancey, takes readers into a dystopian future where aliens have invaded Earth. There have been four previous waves by aliens in attempt to wipe out the human race. The first wave strikes ten days after the aliens, The... (more »)
Carrie by Stephen King This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Often the most effective way to excite one's senses when reading horror fiction is by revealing a terror that we as humans see within ourselves. This principle is what gives Stephen King's novel Carrie its legacy. The story of a girl whose own... (more »)
Hunger Games: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire, the second book in The Hunger Games trilogy, provides a great follow-up for the abrupt ending of the first novel. Suzanne Collins does an exemplary job of providing just enough information to keep the reader constantly guessing,... (more »)
Maximum Ride Forever by James Patterson This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
The Maximum Ride books used to be amazing. The first three books in the series (The Angel Experiment, School’s Out- Forever, and Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports) were some of the best books I have ever read. They were chock-full of... (more »)
Tiger Lily By Jodi Lynn Anderson Review
Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson is a Peter Pan retelling told from the point-of-view of Tinkerbell. The story tells us of what Neverland was like before Wendy ever showed up and it also puts a little twist on what readers already know about the... (more »)
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Some people are naturally born into easy lives. They are born into two-story houses with built-in fire places and circulating air conditioning and indoor plumbing.  The washing machine is always rolling, the floors are polished, and there’s... (more »)
Divergent by Veronica Roth
The now famous action and sci-fi film of the same name was, like most other movies, based off a book. Divergent is a story that features a class system I would compare to Harry Potter and the ancient Indian Caste System as well. Though, there is a... (more »)
Equus by Peter Shaffer This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Presented as a script for a play, “Equus” by Peter Shaffer presents a psychological thriller of a doctor attempting to treat a young man with a religious obsession with horses. The reader follows the accounts of Dr. Dysart, a psychologist,... (more »)
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
The short story, “Metamorphosis” by Franz Kafka, was so popular that it was translated from German into English and a handful of other languages. The infamous first line and the brutally honest writing enrapture the reader as they explore... (more »)