Most Recent Book Reviews

Here are the most recent book reviews:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
The book I read is Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card.  It was published in 1985.  The genre of the book is military science fiction.  I chose this book because there is a 2013 movie adaptation, and I wanted to know what the book was about... (more »)
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Reviewing: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare                It is the late 1870s in London. A teenage boy with midnight black hair, crystal blue eyes, and spiraling black tattoos etched on most of his skin stands in a deserted street,... (more »)
The Selection by Kiera Cass This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
  Books, as Karl Lagerfeld said, “are a hard-bound drug with no danger of an overdose.” Kiera Cass’s The Selection is nothing less. It only took one try, one page, and I was hooked - unable to escape a world I’d never imagined and... (more »)
If I Stay by Gayle Forman
?      Death isn't something someone chooses. Or at least, it shouldn't be. But the protagonist of Gayle Forman's If I Stay is faced with only with this one dreaded choice. A single decision means life or death, and this struggle makes the... (more »)
1 comment
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
      First loves do not last always forever, but isn't it worth a try? Set in 1986, over the course of a single school year, Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor and Park, (the NPR best teen book of 2013, and a New York Times best seller) is a story of... (more »)
If I Stay by Gayle Forman This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Book Review of If I Stay                                                                       "Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you."  Did you... (more »)
The Kill Order by James Dashner
     Author James Dashner has electrified teenage readers with the dramatic and lively Maze Runner series.  When word of a prequel came out, fans like myself shook with excitement. However, The Kill Order by James Dashner turned out to be a... (more »)
“I realize now that dying is easy. Living is hard.”  After an accident occurs, seventeen-year-old Mia Hall is stuck between two choices: whether to stay or leave this reality.  It seems like a tragic teenage story, but put away your... (more »)
Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Honestly, this author is a genius.   Once in a while I'll come across a novel that cleverly blends two narratives in a unique way, often either using two opposite character to tell one story or with one character but two different... (more »)
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho         Destiny is waiting to be discovered in The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Santiago is a wandering shepherd, an outcast who rejected priesthood. He takes a life changing journey leading... (more »)
The Heroes of Olympus: Blood of Olympus by Rick...
The Heroes of Olympus: The Blood of Olympus     In October, fans of the “Heroes of Olympus” series flocked to bookstores far and wide to get their hands on the fifth and final installment of the saga: “The Blood of Olympus.”... (more »)
East of Eden by John Steinbeck This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Are humans inherently good or inherently evil? What makes us who we are; nature or nurture? Do we have a say in the matter at all? These are only some of the intriguing questions that John Steinbeck explores in his American classic, East of... (more »)
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
In Donna Tartt’s “The Secret History”, a group of exclusive Greek scholars participate in an ancient Bacchic ritual. When practicing this ancient Greek tradition, they are confronted by the reality of present day crime. The members of the... (more »)
Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah
Are you or anyone you know going through a hard time? Adeline Yen Mah can understand; she is the author of Chinese Cinderella, a biography of her challenging childhood. Her story, though rough, is fit for all mature ages; a story about her... (more »)
Jumbo by Paul Chambers
Have you ever wondered what life is like for the animals in zoos or circuses? Jumbo by Paul Chambers vividly describes what happens behind the scenes in such animal places. Jumbo, set in the late 1800s in both Europe and North America, is an... (more »)
1 comment
Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Have you ever wanted a clear window into the life an addict? Dry by Augusten Burroughs is just that. In Dry, Burroughs writes about his witty and funny yet serious and sad adventure along the road to sobriety. Present through Burroughs' thoughts... (more »)