Most Recent Book Reviews

Here are the most recent book reviews:

Like Water For Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
Like Water For Chocolate The story Like Water For Chocolate, by Laura Esquivel, uses great symbolism.  The book's twelve chapters, a chapter for each month of a year, is being told by Tita’s great niece, whose mother was Esperanza.  In each... (more »)
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
“Lights," I said softly. This had become my favorite word over the past week. In my mind, it had become synonymous with freedom.”  -Wade “Ready Player One” by Ernest Cline is an exciting book, and most definitely a page turner. Some... (more »)
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
“It may seem strange to start a story with an ending,” writes Mitch Albom. “But all ending are also beginnings. We just don’t know it at the time.” So begins Mitch Albom’s 2003 #1 New York Times bestseller The Five People You... (more »)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before by...
For a person like me, who’s usually never interested in reading any types of books to get hooked into one book, and finishes it in less than a week is very rare! Every girl has experienced having that one special person stuck in their mind for... (more »)
1 comment
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys's debut novel, tells the lesser-known story of Stalin's purge of the newly-created Baltic states during World War II through the eyes of fifteen-year-old Lina, a Lithuanian. At the start of the novel,... (more »)
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
“The House on Mango Street” by Sandra Cisneros is a fictional story about a Hispanic girl growing up in Chicago.  The little girl, Esperanza, tells her story through a series of extremely short stories.  They range from stories of her... (more »)
A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Amidst the endless sea of cliched young adult novels, "A Tale for the Time Being" by Ruth Ozeki is a rare gem of a book. Funny at times, devastating at others and thought-provoking all throughout, it is one that completely breaks the mould of... (more »)
Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Beginning with a few choice words about the main characters, “The Monkey Wrench Gang”, by Edward Abbey, quickly delves into an action filled adventure full of mysteries. The book follows the story of four “Eco terrorists” determined to... (more »)
Around the World in Fifty Years by Albert Podell This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
In Albert Podell’s “Around the World in Fifty Years” he embarks on the longest auto journey ever made across the world, a total of 42,000 miles across 30 countries in 581 days. This journey soon became Podell's dream he then promised to... (more »)
Zoe Letting Go by Nore Price
Summary: Author Nora Price’s novel debut, Zoe Letting Go, follows thirty-six days of seventeen year-old Zoe’s life when she is admitted into an exclusive residential hospital, Twin Birch. Zoe has no idea why her mother has sent her out... (more »)
John Green's Books by John Green
John Green: Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherine’s, Paper Towns & The Fault in Our Stars. (Note: Also, posted on my tumblr blog, fawkesflame123).   I have been a fan of John Green and his books for a while now, so I thought I... (more »)
2 comments
Pet Post Secret by Radhika R. Dhariwal
Abstract Written in the simplest possible way, Ms. Radhika R. Dhariwal’s debut suspense novel, ‘The PetPost Secret’ is so absorbing that it was hard to leave my paperback copy before finishing the story. Even though, I read the story... (more »)
The Hunger Games, Divergent & The Maze Runner...
[A nice review that I had written on tumblr under fawkesflame123, simply me and wanted to post it on here as well.]         In recent years, dystopian and post - apocalyptic novels have been brought to... (more »)
Born to Run
Born to run was a great non fiction book it taught me more about running with facts and told me a great story at the same time. I really like how in this book the would talk about a new character in the book and then it cuts into a “side... (more »)
Stiff: The Curious Life Of Human Cadavers
 Stiff by Mary Roach is a complicated, yet interesting book about the many scientific ways a human cadaver is used. The book is very informative about the ways people can donate their bodies to help science understand the human body. Stiff... (more »)
Columbine by Dave Cullen
I decided to read this book so that I might better understand the tragedy which occured at my high school. This however, is not what I walked away with. Even though it is still difficult for me to understand the reasons and causes of that... (more »)