Most Recent Book Reviews

Here are the most recent book reviews:

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
In a fantasy world that mirrors ours, several families are locked in a struggle for power, ultimate power. In other words, the Iron Throne, which rules over Westeros and all its peoples. Lord of Winterfell, Eddard Stark is named Hand of the King... (more »)
Dead Time by Anne Cassidy
"Rose looked at the blood on her arm". This is the opening sentence of this mysterious grim book, you would think the opening sentence gives all away. But I'll let you know now, it doesn't. This book creates suspense every page you read, you... (more »)
1 comment
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Afghanistan. When you think of that country you see war torn lands, starving children, Muslins with guns threating Americans. That is not what Afghanistan was like, only recently, and by media, had that image formed into people’s minds. This... (more »)
1 comment
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
By , Los Angeles, CA
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is a great novel for young teens and in my opinion, it should be read in all classrooms. The main character, Esperanza, learns things about herself and maybe others that read this book could learn... (more »)
Lab Girl by Hope Jahren This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
I was recently gifted this book by a professor whom my mother is friends with. As an aspiring female scientist myself as well as an avid reader and writer, I found that I shared many similarities with Hope Jahren, and after skimming the blurb on... (more »)
Because I'm Worth It by Cecily von Ziegesar
Oh, how troublesome life can be on the Upper East Side? From what show to go to during this year’s Fashion Week, to early acceptances to universities, the seniors truly have only one thing to count on: parties. Yes because by this point there... (more »)
The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
‘The Day of the Jackal’ is set in the 1960s after the Algerian War. It follows the French President of that time, General De Gaulle who decided to give up Algeria. This led to the formation of the Organisation de... (more »)
Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer
If well done literature is meant to evoke an emotional response, I guess we could classify Jon Krakauer’s into the wild as a good novel. However, I hesitate to say novel because it reads like a two hundred page magazine article comprised of... (more »)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott...
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a short story written by renowned American author F. Scott Fitzgerald (Great Gatsby) in 1922. It’s considered the most humorous of all of his works, and in 2008, it was made into a major motion... (more »)
Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
In Tell the Wolves I’m Home, Carol Rifka Brunt writes a novel connecting people, objects and animals. June Elbus and her uncle, Finn Weiss have a deep and understanding relationship, which leads to June and Toby discovering the unlikely... (more »)
Midnight Diner by Yar? Abe
“Midnight Diner” : English translation for the Japanese name SHINYA SHOKUD?. Genre: the best of the best mangas. So yep, today we’re talking about a Japanese manga,  Midnight Diner by Yar? Abe. An... (more »)
Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword... This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
I'll admit I was a bit apprehensive. I am a fan of Rick Riordan's Greek-mythos-inspired novels (Percy Jackson and the Olympians and The Heroes of Olympus), but had yet to check out any of his other books. I feared disappointment, that Riordan... (more »)
I'm Not Your Sweet Babboo! by Charles M.... This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
One of the most memorable lines from Peanuts is Linus telling Sally, “I’m not your sweet babboo!” For veterans of Charles M. Schulz’s comic strip masterpiece, that’s just one of the punchlines that have stuck over the years. And the... (more »)
The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
At the end of the book, Golding uses the literary element of perspective. The point-of-view changes to how an outsider would view the boys. Perspective is the way in which one sees something. Golding uses this idea throughout the last few pages... (more »)
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
“Eleanor was right: She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn’t supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.” One wonders if, when Rainbow Rowell wrote this line, she had any idea she was describing... (more »)
Delirium by Lauren Oliver This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
 The book Delirium by Lauren Oliver was my main read for the summer, and I haven’t been this impressed in a long time.  Centered on a teenage girl named Magdalena Haloway (called Lena by her friends and family), Delirium is set in a... (more »)