Most Recent Book Reviews

Here are the most recent book reviews:

Ranger's Apprentice: The Tournament at...
Halt is new to the kingdom of Arulen. He has nothing to fight for, nowhere to call home. The only friend he has is Crowley, a young ranger in the service of the king. But neither of them are going to stand idly by when a cruel lord plans to take... (more »)
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
One day in the library, I glanced at a book cover of a kid flying a kite and it was titled The Kite Runner. Actually, flying kites is a popular sport in my country of China so I was intrigued. My initial thought was that this book would be a... (more »)
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
I thought Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale was an excellent book. I haven’t read her Booker Prize-winning The Blind Assassin yet, but after reading this I’ve definitely pushed it to the top of my list. Three points that particularly... (more »)
News of a Kidnapping by Gabriel García Márquez
“‘They kidnapped Pacho.’ News of a kidnapping, no matter how painful, is not as irredeemable as news of a murder, and Hernando breathed a sigh of relief. ‘Thank God.’” The fact that someone can reply to a phone call about a loved... (more »)
The Giver by Lois Lowry
As I read The Giver, I felt as if the book was way too long, it was dragging, and it seemed as if nothing good was happening. I was truly let down by this book, mostly because I expected more, especially after reading lots of positive reviews.... (more »)
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Two women’s stories, that of Mariam and Laila, are set in the chaos of 1970s Kabul, Afghanistan. Their worlds converge when catastrophe strikes, their lives punctuated by periods Soviet occupation and the years before and after the Taliban... (more »)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
I don't know what I expected when I began Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I'd heard many conflicting ideas on it, that boiled down to; it was a brilliant work of art, or it was boring and stuffy—so I started reading this book with some... (more »)
Lyddie by Katherine Paterson This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Lyddie Katherine Paterson      “The bear had been their undoing, though at the time they had all laughed.  No, mama had never laughed, but Lyddie and Charles and the babies had laughed until their bellies ached.  Lyddie still... (more »)
Michael Vey Series by Richard Paul Evans
My first thought when I saw this series is "Did they write another dystopian novel?!" I had just finished the Divergent and Maze Runner series and was looking for my next fix. It was SO worth it. The main character's name is Michael Vey, who is... (more »)
Cinder by Marissa Meyer This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
The book Cinder, by Marissa Mayer, is a retelling of the classic Cinderella story. Set far in the future, the book features many technologies not yet known to man, such as eye screens and hover cars. Additionally, title character Cinder is a... (more »)
Inkspell (Inkworld #2) by Cornelia Funke
Meggie has everything she could ever want. Her father Mo, was safe and sound, her mother Resa is back in her life, and although she cannot speak, she spends almost every evening writing out her stories for Meggie. They all live together in... (more »)
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
This book’s protagonist is like no other. Bright, inquisitive, and named after a French swimming pool, Piscine Molitor Patel is a young teen living in Pondicherry, India, and wants nothing more than to be close to God. Life of Pi by Yann... (more »)
Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
Hardy’s elegant, pastoral prose flows like a river on a yellowed page, speaking of isolation, of sexual double standards, of family, of sacrifice, of pain, of persecution, of pregnancy, of life, of death. Hardy is an extremely descriptive... (more »)
A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
Nick Hornby created a novel, which can serve as a learning format as to why people try to kill themselves, not just regarding the state of their depression. Although it is often though that the Nick Hornby’s novel, A Long Way Down is about... (more »)
Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver
The Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver The  Delirium Trilogy was a good series. It was captivating and moving. You get engaged with the characters, and you can feel the main characters' every emotion. There is something in there for everyone.... (more »)
Champion by Marie Lu
Champion, the final book in Marie Lu’s Legend trilogy, is the story of Day’s and June’s last adventure, but this time it is to help the Republic. They have to find a way to slow the Colonies down so they do not destroy their home land. At... (more »)