Native Son by Richard Wright | Teen Ink

Native Son by Richard Wright

By CalebLincicum BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
CalebLincicum BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin

The book Native Son by Richard Wright is about Bigger Thomas. A 20 year old African American kid living on the poor, southside of Chicago in the the 1930’s. He has been in trouble since he was a young teenager in almost every way possible. Whether he was getting into fights, robbing stores in his neighborhood for money or just being the biggest and baddest bully he could be with his friends.  He has no job and makes money off the robbing he does. Bigger's whole life is characterized by feelings of fear, dread, and isolation. He hides his fear by being the biggest and baddest bully he can be to his friends. Then Bigger’s life takes a turn when he gets a job working as a driver for a very rich man, Mr. Dalton. After leaving his neighbor and moving into the white world, Bigger's greatest fears and insecurities begin to come about with alarming speed. After a terrible accident involving Mr. Dalton's daughter, Bigger finds himself trapped, desperate, and looking for a way out, no matter who he has to hurt and what he has to do.

A few reasons I enjoyed this book is because it keeps you wondering what Bigger’s future beholds. I recommend this book to anyone that loves being on the edge of their seat the whole time they are reading a book. Anyone seeking a thrill novel would also enjoy this book greatly. The author finds a way to give you a perspective of colored peoples lives in Bigger’s time. He also shows the stereotypes that people had for people at this time in history. Along the way Bigger will find things out about himself that he didn’t even know existed, he is filled with dread, guilt, and anxiety thinking about the horrible accident involving Mr Dalton’s daughter. Bigger feels that the world has a very close minded perspective of the lives of young black people like himself. He feels a lot throughout the he feels that people do not give young African Americans like himself a chance. He also feels that they think this without even considering the fact that he does not get near the opportunities that the young white people his age get. This makes Bigger resent the white people because he feels that if he got the opportunities that they got he could be better than what they are, and even get his family out of where they are. Little does he know that his accident with Mr Dalton’s daughter will haunt him and lead him to do things that he never would have seen himself doing before. Bigger will have to make many decisions throughout the story, ones that could either help him or harm him. Bigger is unsure of himself and of the future that he feels waits for him. Will Bigger find freedom, or will his story end the way society has taught him to believe it will?