Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot #10) by Agatha Christie | Teen Ink

Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot #10) by Agatha Christie

May 8, 2018
By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
293 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"So many books, so little time"


Synopsis (From Goodreads):
What more can a mystery addict desire than a much-loathed murder victim found aboard the luxurious Orient Express with multiple stab wounds, thirteen likely suspects, an incomparably brilliant detective in Hercule Poirot, and the most ingenious crime ever conceived?


Plot:
Hercule Poirot was one of the greatest detectives of all time. As an international detective, Hercule is expected to work all around the world at a moment's notice. Thus, when he receives the call to go to London, he runs into his old friend, M. Bouc, who got him a seat on the train he was conducting: The Orient Express. There, on a full train of strangers, Hercule gets cornered by an evil man named Ratchett. Ratchett wanted Hercule to be a bodyguard to him, to alert Ratchett when anyone looks at him the wrong way. Seeing Ratchett when he met M. Bouc, he could see the evil and animal like instances in Ratchett, and refused him of his offer. Few days into the train ride, M. Bouc ask Hercule for his help. Ratchett was murdered, and with the train stopping due to snow, the killer had to be one of the passengers on the train. With twelve stab wounds, Ratchett’s body was attacked by both left handed and right handed people, some cuts deadly, some mere scratches. Gathering everyone’s passports, Hercule and M. Bouc began their interviews with each of the passengers. From the evidence of the secretary, the vault, the American lady, to the Russian princess and the Italian man. From clues to speculations, the reader can follow along with Hercule, as he solves the trail of who killed Ratchett, and more importantly why.


Thoughts:
What an amazing story. Agatha Christie, known for her mystery and crime novel, wrote around forty-five Hercule Poirot novels, this one being number ten. Where at first glance that might be one long series to start, the books do not have to be read in order. Each book, a close in case, can let you to start anywhere. Which for me, started with the Orient Express. Popular because of its 2017 movie, starring Kenneth Branagh as Hercule Poirot, and Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) as Ratchett, the movie that stayed pretty close to the book. This story is a murder mystery done right, with colorful characters, overlapping clues, the reader could, along with Hercule, solve the murder, but it would be very difficult to guess right. Christie, due to her time, made some points based off the nationalities of the characters, one that would not go over well today, but again this book came out during 1934, we can give Christie a break. The language of the book was easy to read, expect when Christie switched over to one off comments in French that were never explained, and the reader had to either know French, or google the translation. This book a perfect one day snowy reads, and a high recommendation to anyone who loves Christie, murder mysteries, and those who loved the movie.


The author's comments:

A frightful murder mystery story that will leave you hunting for clues