Crossed by Ally Condie | Teen Ink

Crossed by Ally Condie

April 2, 2018
By AudreyHudson BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
AudreyHudson BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As the perilous sequel to Matched by Ally Condie, the science fiction novel Crossed takes former members of a highly perfected society to a prospect of rebellion; welcome by some, but certainly not all. Previously, Cassia Reyes had been handed the ideal life with her childhood friend and future Match, Xander Carrow. However, a flaw in the Society's system leads her to start an illegal and dangerous relationship with Ky, an outcast marked with death. After the circumstances worsen, Ky is forced to become a decoy to the mysterious Enemy, whom hunt members of the Society. In Crossed, both Ky and Cassia escape from work camps to a seemingly endless series of canyons and wilderness along the border of civilization. There, they struggle to not only reunite but survive. However, plans from Society and Xander threaten to keep them separate.


Crossed is a work that could appeal to a wide variety of readers. It has definite elements of romance without it overtaking the plot or other elements of the story, and survival is a relevant theme. The book also carefully delivers Cassia's development from a model citizen to rebel. Teenagers who enjoyed books such as Hunger Games, Delirium, or The Selection would tear through any of the books in the Matched trilogy. Condie incorporates similar crafts of constant struggles that could potentially be solved, but that often leads to more conflict among characters. Readers will be engaged throughout most of the read, and overall, I would without a doubt recommend the novel.