The Activist by John Grisham | Teen Ink

The Activist by John Grisham MAG

March 1, 2018
By AbbyGH GOLD, Rolla, Missouri
AbbyGH GOLD, Rolla, Missouri
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In The Activist by John Grisham, Theodore Boone finds himself in the middle of a hot political and environmental issue. The county commision is fighting to build a “bypass to nowhere” that will cost $200 million, destroy 50 homes, a hiking trail, several farms, a historic church, and bring about 25,000 cars and trucks per day past the front door of Jackson Elementary School. Theo will do whatever it takes to stand up for what is right – and stop the bypass from being built.
The Activist is the fourth book (out of six) in the Theodore Boone series. All of the books revolve around law, since Grisham himself is an attorney. This series is geared toward teens and helps readers learn more about the legal system through its interesting plot. Of the first four books, The Activist is the least action-packed, but it’s still an exciting novel.


Throughout the book, Grisham explores important themes such as fighting for what you believe in. Theo thinks the bypass should not be built, so he organizes kids, makes a video, and does whatever it takes to fight for what he believes in. Another theme in the novel is perseverance. The Major suspends Theo from his leadership of the Falcon Patrol, and Theo considers quitting Boy Scouts. However, Theo’s mom says, “Quitting is not the answer. Life is not fair, and you can’t quit every time something unfair happens to you.”
Grisham uses a third-person narrator. Nevertheless, readers will still connect to Theo. His thoughts and feelings are vivid. Grisham also does a great job with the dialogue, showing relationships between characters and how Theo feels about varous issues. Grisham makes the story realistic.
Grisham keeps readers wondering what will happen next with plot twists and driving questions: Will the bypass be built, and what secrets will Theo uncover next?


Grisham uses strong visual descriptions as well. Readers will see Judge, Theo, Hardie, and Woody when they are attacked, and can easily picture the commissioners’ meeting.
Grisham’s mystery novel is a perfectly paced narrative filled with plot twists, driving questions, strong visuals, and great themes. This makes The Activist an absolute 10 for all readers.