Review of "Reverse Racism Is Not Real"

The writing title “Reverse Racism Is Not Real,” written by Elizabeth Otero, talks about how racism is defined by oppression, rather than just prejudice alone. This basically means that the white population of the United States who feel that there is prejudice against them can’t say that they have felt racism because they can’t say that people of color think themselves as superior. She also dives into privilege saying that white Americans are closer to their goal, specifically using the analogy, “sitting in the front row” of a classroom and trying to make a shot into the wastebasket. She continuous by pointing out that it’s the white people whom have imperialized, suppressed, and segregated others. Finally, she finishes with the idea that the whites still hold power over the system and shape it to favor them.

Her writing left me feeling ashamed in my people and myself. As a white male, I understand that I am extremely privileged in the terms of society and that I will never truly understand racism and its effects on the individual. I agree with many of her points, and I feel that they were well explained. I especially agree that whites have enslaved and destroyed entire cultures and that as she says, “it’s prejudice, not racism,” when talking about these white folk.