The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros | Teen Ink

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

By dominicd123 BRONZE, Victorville, California
dominicd123 BRONZE, Victorville, California

In the house on mango street by sandra cisneros i think that people should read it because it is an interesting book and it has lots of good characters with lots of feelings.

The house on mango street is a story of a young  girl named Esperanza Cordero. The book is told in small vignettes which act as both chapters of a novel and independent short stories or prose poems.

The House on Mango Street covers a year in the life of Esperanza, a girl, who is about twelve years old when the novel begins. During the year, she moves with her family into a house on Mango Street.An older Puerto Rican girl who lives with her cousins on Mango Street. Marin sells Avon makeup and spends most of her days baby-sitting, and so cannot leave the house. A girl Esperanza befriends as she starts to get older. Sally is more sexually mature and seems beautiful and glamorous to Esperanza. She has an abusive father and lets herself be taken advantage of by boys.

The  setting is central to The house on mango street after all, it's even mentioned in the title. Esperanza and her family have just moved to a poor, mostly Latino neighborhood in a city that's commonly understood to be Chicago, the author's hometown. In my opinion the author wrote this story to reflect to where his home town is and comparing it to the story.

In the house on mango street i liked that that the author reflects on where his home town was and putting his touch in the story. One of the things that i did not like about the story was that it was long and took a while to read.

In conclusion, the house on Mango Street brings out the theme of the fight for self definition. Where the main character fights for her self identity in a society where there is segregation between the poor and the rich. It outlines the problems that poor people face and the struggle they undergo as they try to obtain their self identity.