When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon | Teen Ink

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

By RockyLightwood23 GOLD, New York City, New York
RockyLightwood23 GOLD, New York City, New York

When I first got the reading list, I was overwhelmed by which book I should choose. However, I felt like I wouldn’t be as interested as I would have been if I read something I picked myself and not by a list. Just before I left for sleepaway summer camp, we went to Barnes & Nobles to get a book and I found When Dimple met Rishi  by chance. When I read the blurb, I liked the way the author took a twist on Indian tradition. It was different from the other books I read and showed a different side of my culture.

Normally, books about Indian society portray the girls having duties to only marriage and commitment while the males are allowed to do what they want. Very few books give examples of the opposite and don’t offend people. This book took the twist took it to the extreme in a good way and that’s why I liked it. I appreciated how Dimple was very serious about her studies, yet she was able to balance her love interest in end. She didn’t easily give up her passion for her boy and had her ups and downs. At the same time, I liked how dedicated Rishi was to Dimple and was even willing to change for her. One of my favorite moments was when Rishi was explaining to Dimple about his saying “gods bless you.” He said it was his way of getting to explain Hinduism. I thought it was an interesting way to spread the idea of Hinduism.

I enjoyed the book very much and I am glad I was lucky enough to spot it in the midsts of other books. I would definitely recommend this book to readers who are interested in plots that have a different view on society’s norms. When Dimple met Rishi teaches readers to always fight through the obstacles until the end. Fighting through the hardships only makes you stronger and more experienced.