The Seasons and the Human Experience by C. Johnson | Teen Ink

The Seasons and the Human Experience by C. Johnson

Both Shakespeare and Keats use nature, to get their points across to the reader. The point or central message of both writer was a sense of time. Shakespeare uses his creative license in the uses of both imagery and diction. While Keats uses his seasons spring until winter to compare the growth over time in human life.

In The Human Seasons John Keats associates a feeling with each season, spring is shown as the early time of “the mind of a man”. It is shown that “lusty spring” is carefree, unbothered, and just plain simple. This makes him appreciate this time, appreciate the beauty rather. The author then progressed towards summer while he ruminates the past, as he so eloquently put it. He describes how this “dreaming high/ Is nearest unto heaven” this is the climax of Keats poem. When Keats reaches Autumn the time begins to slow down and everything, time and space just past right by him. Then comes winter the end of his long journey the author then explains how he “forgoes his mortal nature”. Keats poem shows how time is just a variable and the seasons are a metaphor for the times in a man's mind.

Shakespeare uses diction and imagery, to explain how death doesn’t ruin beauty. But it is said to be more extravagant and delicate than just life itself. Shakespeare implies that flowers are beautiful in the spring/summer can be destroyed by “hideous winters”. Hideous in this case meaning the worst of the worst. Shakespeare really wants to emphasize how the “substance still lives sweet” even if the host is gone.

Both John Keats and William Shakespeare expressed their points on time. Keats goes expresses how life goes on and doesn’t wait for you, Keats believes beauty comes through time. While Shakespeare believes beauty comes through time but is then expressed explicitly through death.