I Am The Weapon by Allen Zadoff | Teen Ink

I Am The Weapon by Allen Zadoff

By GavinHuneke SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
GavinHuneke SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“Mission accomplished, Boy Nobody disappears, moving on to the next target”, This is from Allen Zadoff’s book I Am The Weapon. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to read action and adventure. This book is basically about a boy whose parents were killed by a young assassin, he is then recruited to become an assassin just like the boy who killed his parents. The story follows Zach through his mission, where he doesn't always follow orders. I really liked this book because Zadoff does three things really well. He does a great job of providing details, keeping a quick pace, and keeping the reader in suspense.

First off is that he provides amazing detail that made it easy for me to able to picture everything that is going on in the book. The book is written from  Zach’s point of view, who is the main character, and is also called Ben in this particular book. It allows the reader to see everything that he is able to see and get a better understanding of why certain things are happening. The rich details that he provides makes the book more appealing to me and easier to follow. Including details about Zach's thoughts made it much easier to understand why he sometimes followed orders, and why he didn’t at certain times. Zach goes back and forth between a loyal soldier, and a boy that is independent with his own desires. Zadoff really gives great details but while doing so also keeps up a quick pace.

He keeps up a fast but easy to follow pace. I really like a fast pace because I find it more entertaining and interesting. A book that has a slow pace becomes boring after time and I find that I am less likely to finish it. This book it has such a quick moving plot that kept me reading until I forced myself to stop. He is able to keep a fast pace and he also provides suspense that left me wondering.

Zadoff creates suspense that left me curious as to what is going to happen next. He is able to create suspense by not giving hints about what is going to happen next and adding surprises where I least expected them. Suspense made this book much more appealing and interesting to me. There are certain times in the book when I thought one thing was going to happen and the complete opposite happens because I never knew what is going to happen until it’s happening. There are times that Zach receives an order that is meant to test his loyalty to the people he works for, and it doesn’t always seems clear what he is going to decide. This leads to a lot of suspense being built up in the book. This is a great book for someone who really likes a fast moving action filled book with lots of suspense that left me speechless.

Zadoff does a great job of providing the following: great detail, a fast pace, and keeping the reader in suspense. He does all of these things together, and it all plays a part in creating this action packed story as it follows Zach in his mission and everything that he finds along the way. This book kept me on my toes as he finishes one mission and prepares to take on the next. It’s a great thing that there are more than one book in this series because this book left me wanting more.