The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger | Teen Ink

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger

January 25, 2018
By AceMcCase SILVER, Morris Plains, New Jersey
AceMcCase SILVER, Morris Plains, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
let me live, love, and say it well in good sentences

-Sylvia Plath


One of my favorite books of all time is The Catcher in the Rye. It's not only a great book but it introduced me to J.D Salinger's other work such as his many short stories and novellas.


The book is about a young man named Holden Caulfeild, who narrates the story, who left his prep school after being expelled. He wanders around New York existentially contemplating all of his problems regarding, phonies, morons, and life in general whilst spiraling into madness. It's so much better than I'm making it sound I promise.


The Catcher in the Rye resonates with so many because it deals with the themes that everyone can relate to, the hardships of youth, growing up, letting things go. Not only do I think about these things on a daily basis but I'm afraid of them, I am genuinely afraid of what the future holds and what problems I'll have to face getting there and that's what makes The Catcher in the Rye so good, it's because it contextualizes that fear into a problematic and realistic character in an interesting and captivating story.


The reason that I love The Catcher in the Rye so much is because similar to many others I read it at a very important time in my life, I was about 12 or most likely 13 when I read it for the first time and I feel like any time I read it again I get something new out of it. One more meaning from that symbolism, a hidden metaphor I finally understand, basic points in the plot that I've just forgotten but get to remember again.    

          
If you have not already read this classic novel that has moved so many, I highly recommend it.