Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen | Teen Ink

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

January 9, 2018
By Anonymous

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Pride and Prejudice is by far one of the best books I’ve read so far. Jane Austen’s witty and clever approach of the Georgian Era has immediately captured my heart without delay. She is indeed a literary genius whose stories are still celebrated as of today.

So far, this book is essentially a social commentary during Jane Austen’s time. In my opinion, despite of the themes, circumstances and the personality of each character that were presented throughout the novel, it’s still very much relevant to our modern society today. Topics such as social class, love, marriage and even an elopement maintains a huge part in today’s talks. Not to mention that the characters also have distinct personalities that we can still see from other people up to this day. Needless to say, the book is like a reminder to the reader that even though centuries have gone by, some things are still the same.

Another thing I’ve noticed from reading the novel is how subjectivity is crucial to the plot as if it was the force or the center conflict that gives each character the excuse of behaving or doing something. It really goes to show how preconceived notions or from someone’s personal point of view could potentially create a conflict towards our relationship to certain types of people.

The pacing is quick with consistency and the prose is definite without being one dimensional. Jane Austen’s magnum opus is a book that really gave me a glimpse of the human condition regarding pride, social pressure but most of all, love. Overall, it is worth the read. To all the people who have heard about Jane Austen and haven’t read any of her books yet, then you should give it a try. 

In conclusion, I would like to add: Read the book first before watching the movie.