A Short History of the Girl Next Door by Jared Reck This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I've been genre hopping a bit from my comfortable mystery and thriller over to the young adult sections of the library, and what better way to do it with a debut author? Jared Reck is a first time novelist, and in the future, I can tell he will be dominating the young adult section.

A Short History of the Girl Next Door tells the unrequited, common best friends to lover trope through the main character Matt and his best friend Tabby. The two have known each other since birth since they live across the street from one another, leading to a newfound friendship that lasts all the way to freshman year, the present. 

The narrative starts in freshman year. Tabby has recently been dating the leading star senior of the basketball team, Liam. Matt, having a crush on Tabby, is jealous, and slightly disappointed. The book fleshes out their relationship through many events: Halloween, their friendship in the past, riding the bus together. The first person point of view is very effective since Matt is relatabe to many. He has a voice different from other teenagers, making him a great narrator. It was almost as if I was reading my best friend's diary; I felt close to Matt at all times.

The book deals with the themes of loss and finding happiness in the turmoil of those events. Matt's relationship with the characters definitely form the book to be what it is. What I loved about this is how present the family was in Matt's life. In young adult, many of the protagonists have an almost absent family life, but his relationship with his parents warmed my heart.

Matt navigates through his freshman year dealing with loss, supposed unrequited love, and forming relationships. All in all, A Short History of the Girl Next Door will break your heart and patch it up with glue at the same time!

Jared Reck is a debut author, so make sure to support him on future works! 

WolfWhisperer0911This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 5 at 9:16 pm
@kkatherinekatt When you have the review, I suggest having more than just the characters, like maybe the theme of the story or what makes the novel likable to you than just the characters. Besides that, good review.

kkatherinekattThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 5 at 10:43 pm
@WolfWhisperer0911 Yeah, good point! This was a bit of a rookie review /: Anyways, I was scared to spoil it since the twist basically possesses the whole meaning! Thank you for all your kind comments

WolfWhisperer0911This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 6 at 8:57 pm
@kkatherinekatt I understand about that! I would say at the very least that there are spoilers at the beginning of the article, and then you could put the plot twist it. I would recommend reading a review to get the idea of what a good review is!

today at 8:08 pm
@kkatherinekatt Congrats on the red mark!

today at 10:56 pm
@WolfWhisperer0911 No, thank you! Your critique inspired me to re-edit it , so it's basically our red mark (: