Against Tall Odds | Teen Ink

Against Tall Odds

December 4, 2017
By StoneBlue SILVER, Portland , Oregon
StoneBlue SILVER, Portland , Oregon
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of places, if one only remembers to turn on the light.


Matt Roloff is a dwarf he was born with a disease called dwarfism. He was born on October 7,1961 in a hospital in San Francisco. He lives on a farm in the Helvetia, Oregon his family opens it to whoever wants to visit they have a huge tree house that has 4 different levels. He married a woman named Amy and she was another Little person too they both fell in love at first site.


Three years went by and they finally got married. After only a few weeks they found out that Amy was pregnant with boy twins. When they heard that news they were shocked because it was unusual for Little people to have twins. Amy had one twin that is “normal sized ” and one that is “small” they were fine with that. Then a few more years later she was pregnant with a girl that was “normal sized”too. They named their twins Jeremy and Zachery.  They named their girl Molly and they built her a two story playhouse. They had to be careful with their two normal sized kids because they were much taller and stronger than them.


He had many trials in his life he had full body casts for his first five to ten years of his life and he could not do what the other kids could do. His short son went through that as well they could not go on many hikes or road trips.
Matt built a 24’ pirate ship that has secret passageways it is like a cabin type of thing. It has bunk beds and a captain's courter. You can go to their farm and see all of this cool stuff they have there. He opened it to whoever because he wants everyone to get along with Little people. The whole family wanted to do this as well. They made a man made “lake”and visitors are able to swim, dive ,fish and do a ton of other stuff as well. At least 1,000 visitors go there each year. Some are normal sized and some are small too. If you go you can stay the night and you can do a tour of their farm.


Him and his whole family don’t mind them being short there is an old saying that he keeps reminding himself of. He once told his mother that he hated her but he didn’t really mean it he was just taking his anger out on her and says it is her fault that he is a dwarf. God has a certain thing for his life there is a purpose and a reason that God made him a dwarf. He had many struggles in his life he didn’t have any friends because he was either in the hospital, in a full body casts, or he was recovering from a big surgery.


Matt was so annoyed at all of the surgeries he had to have. His hip joint should be a ball and socket but it is like a T- bone instead. He needs crutches to walk sometimes. Many people called him a shorty and he would tell his dad and his dad always told him “well you are” that made him feel a lot better. He would  remind himself of that a lot too a lot.


Matt and Amy were proud of their children and how they didn’t care if they were short or if they weren’t. They do many trips around Oregon to see of of the cool things we have here like OMSI, the Oregon ZOO, and the beaches they are not that crowded here in Oregon because they are windy, cold, and stormy. But the funnest thing is to go camping around Oregon.


Their whole family loves Oregon they travel so they can get away from all of the medical stuff with the kids and themselves. It’s like going on vacation after school you always want to have a break from school .  His family didn’t go on many vacations though.

 

Matt Roloff is a christian and he loves the Lord he prays with his kids before bed and before all of the meals. Matt told his friends and everyone he knows and knew about christ. Almost everyone he knew asked him how he can move on with his life being a dwarf and how to respond when people picked on him he said he just prayed to God to help him get through life and I can just that too but I can keep praying for those who need it the most.
Matt Roloff is great role model to follow because he went with what life threw at him I can just remind myself of him when I need to just roll with what life throws at me. I can do what God wants me to do and I can learn to just roll with life and follow The Ten Commandments.


The author's comments:

This is from a true story book that I read.